Opening Day

Garry2Rs

My neighbor Mike, his grown son, his young daughter and I went Crappie fishing this morning near the village of Buckhorn, in the East Kawarthas.

Things started slowly, perhaps because of the thunderstorms last night.

From nine until noon we caught a few Sunfish and a couple of OOS Bass.

From noon until two we caught nothing!. As host of this Shindig, I was getting worried!!!

At about two o'clock I caught a mid-size Crappie in four FOW, on a split tail Crappie jig.

Knowing that these are school fish, we turned back on ourselves and fished a 100 meter section of shoreline...

During the next 90 minutes the four of us boated 40 Crappie, and a few Sunfish, before calling it quits.

A few were caught on dew worms, but most were caught on small plastics under a slip bobber.

The hot technique was to cast and wait for a touch, or pick-up...then to move the bait an inch or so.

We were using "Darter" type jig heads, so when you pulled, the bait would rise and then spiral down on the slack line...

The decent was the trigger!

If you stayed in touch with the bait a fish would pick it up, then by just reeling you would set the hook.

In spite of the slow start I would have to call this a great Opening Day.

Garry2R's

Edited by garry2rs

Sounds like a great opener! I wanted to add a question here rather than starting a new thread (kind of a hi-jack I guess ) and I figure you gents would probably know the answer. I know fishing in the Otonabee here in town is closed for a few weeks yet but how about the canal? Right now that OFAH event where they stock a section of the canal with a bunch of trout is on but after that is the canal open, or is it considered part of the Otonabee and closed for a few weeks? Thanks if anyone knows. Sorry for Hi-jack.

Thanks Smokey; I don't know what I was thinking. Well, I was thinking Lock 19 was on the North end of town, rather than the South for some reason. Thanks for setting me straight. Can't wait to fish, even if it's just for perch! Or Carp.