Lake Erie and Upper Niagara Bass Fishing?

Minnow

I read on the NY State Conservation website that bass is open all year but is catch and release only and just saw an episode of dave mercer fishing for smallies on erie in late December. So my question was if I get a one day NY fishing license would it be possible to fish the NY side of Erie and Upper Niagara and catch some bass this time of year. These would be prespawn smallies and never really fished for them so any help on tactics, depth, location and where to fish on Erie would be greatly Appreciated! Thanks!

Not positive how their season runs anymore, here in Ohio It closes now the end of April till like the 3rd Saturday in June on Lake Erie, Pa and New York used to be similar. Some good Smallies fishing in PA also east of Presque Isle State park to the New York line.

The main thing is to find a rock- gravel bottom just increases your chances of catching them, tubes, drop shot, smaller crankbaits and anywhere from 1 to 40 feet of water usually.

Late April was a great time here for them, they move into the bays off of Erie a lot to spawn and 50 fish days weren`t unusual. Fishing for them in the bays was a lot like fishing for L/M, around docks, wood, any place with a harder bottom, sand, gravel, rip-rap.

Open waters of Erie a bit different, a good depth finder and look for fish sitting on the bottom, easier in deeper water, a marker was a must have, get a few feet off of them and no hits most of t he time, they can lock down tight on a spot. Tubes, drop shot, jigging a blade bait like a sonar, silver buddy. vibee. They don`t like lizards, if you find them they will smash a 4 inch lizard on a jig or texas style depending on cover.

there season actually opens in a week I think.....bass are starting to come in to the shallows over there to spawn. Buffalo harbour can be very productive, thats were most of the guys go. Don't think you will get much in the river as the fish are slow and lathargic right now cause of the cold water, so fast water may be out...LOL. You are better off just getting a yearly one for $40 US cause I think a day pass is like around $20.

I have fished in a couple of small tournaments out of the small boat harbour (Buffalo) in May in years past. I don't do it any longer but it can be very productive. (Fishing over nesting bass lost its appeal to me) Dragging tube jigs over any structure will produce for you.

Cheers

Craig

NY State Bass season is open year round,even inland lakes, C&R only and artificials only as well. Starting first Saturday in May, there is a special Lake Erie trophy season, one fish (smallie only, no largie) can be kept if 20 inches or longer.The regular season opens up 3 rd Saturday in June .

Try fishing the breaklines, (ie, 18 drops to 26 fow, or the rock piles, there are tons of them from 18 -45 fow)most rock piles on the gps maps do hold fish and there are a ton that are unmarked. Most of these fish will be prespawn till the full moon in May. Than you can expect some slow fishing for a couple of weeks.

Like metioned above, tubes, drop shotting 3 -4 inch baits , grubs, jiggin spoons, and when the fish are located in the 20 fow and less, deep diving cranks, jerkbaits can get you some fish.

Remember, the trophy season is only for Lake Erie, not the upper river.

Good luck,

John.