Ice Fishing Nipissing

Phunter

Have booked a weekend, mid February, ice fishing on Nipissing.

Looking for help to be sure I am adequitly prepared. This will be the first time I have ever gone ice fishing.

I am booked with a respected out fitter, I have a new ice rod, and have an interest in learning the ways of the ice.

I would like to catch some fish but I don't want to be the camp clown and I don't want to have to be taught edicate while on the ice!

What are the do's and dont's when it comes to ice fishing with an outfitter including what would be " common sence "?

What is the favoured rigs and bait?

Tips for an enjoyable expierience?

Any and all comments will be helpful.

Thanks

Perry

Lake Nipissing Walleyes like a slow jigging motion.

Rest bait on bottom, gently lift 6" - 12" hold....repeat.

Use a tip-up also.

The Windlass will keep your line moving, but sometimes they like a dead stick presentation with no movement.

Buy medium size shiners ( 3").

Use jigs, chartreuse, green, and yellow seem to be the best producers in 1/4 - 1/8 oz.

Also use plain hook on tip up if they don't hit the jig.

Don't be afraid to use scent on the bait as well.

Thanks Clampet, have that sortment of jigs, Im good there! Supply of minnows, will see what we get.

Thanks Lunker, i have heard of those, will have to grab one to try, and we are leaving the boat at home!

Thanks Buckster, gold buckshot rattle spoons.

Thanks to the above comments I'm sure I've got the equipment now.

If there are no out right edicate guidelines, like how long does a hole need to be vacant /unattended before you can drop a line in it, how about things you have done ice fishing and would not do again?

Thanks Again

Perry

I think Clampett pretty much nailed it down for you on the fishing part. Etiquette, well im not too sure on that :D Enjoyable experience? Bring some good friends and have a good time.. The guys running these shacks have seen everything! :lol:

Good point Tracker

Edited by Nipissing