Need a brake job..

Gerritt

Thanks for the advice Paul.. I wont cheap out on the parts, infact I will probably by the best I can.

Thanks for the heads up on the white boxes though.

Any manufacturers I should consider purchasing? I was thinking Raybestos were probably the ones I would be looking at no?

G

Raybesto is very good brake,Just put a set on Joey's van.

I use ceramics on the truck.Great stopping but very hard on the disc's

Ceramics are costly though.

At work we only use Ray's. It a different style braking system, but we are

also trying to stop 300.000 lbs.

jaspers have a reputation for squealing like a stuck pig for a couple weeks though! be warned. I won't put em on again, they where a fine pad, and lasted quite well considering the price, but it was lesson learned with the squealing i buy the primo stuff now.

Edited by cork soaker

Well I did the brakes and did not wind up with any extra parts! :thumbsup_anim: It was pretty straight forward, I had a neighbour help me as he had the proper greases etc :) it got interesting though.....

I removed the rotor only to have the emergency shoes fall apart in my hands..... Great.....

Off to the parts shop for new shoes and the hardware kit...

tested the E-Brakes.. one side works properly... on the drivers side the cable is seized... ARGH... I manually released the shoes... and will be leaving the cable be till next week, I just wont use the E-Brake... I never do anyways unless on a ramp... So I will replace the cable on both sides just to be safe..

So it looks like the E-Brakes were in contact with the rotor the last time I used it... and therefor the reason they fell apart... and possibly warped my rotors due to the heat generated..

I still have a slight pulsating when braking so it looks as though the front will require attention as well in the near future.... but fixing the rears certainly resolved 95% of the pulsating..

I would like to thank everyone for their advice and PM's

I wound up with top of the line Raybestos pads... cost $68.00 and the rotors cost 35.00, New Raybestos e-brake shoes were 60.00 and the hardware kit was 25.00.. Learning to do a brake job... Priceless!

I learned alot today working on the truck... now to get that E-Cable fixed..

G

Edited by Gerritt