New Year.. Comes With New Computer Viruses. "warning!"

dsn

Internet worm drops in New Year e-mail

29/12/2006 5:26:48 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A worm attached to an e-mail with the subject line "Happy New Year!" is the latest spam to threaten computer users, a security expert warns.

CBC News

The new worm comes disguised as a file attachment named postcard.exe or postcard.zip, VeriSign iDefense Labs revealed on Thursday.

Once the file is launched, it replicates itself and sends copies to other e-mail addresses by accessing the infected computer's mailbox. It also disables several computer security features and installs rootkit software, which allows it to hide itself from the user.

VeriSign said several large networks reported interceptions of the new e-mail on Thursday. Several other security firms also reported the virus. Kaspersky Lab dubbed the worm "Tibs" while Trend Micro calls it "Nuwar." Other names for it include Banwarum and Glowa.

Network sends spam five times per second

The worm is reportedly being spread from 160 e-mail domains, with one network sending out the spam at a rate of five e-mails per second.

The "Happy New Year!" e-mail is just one variation on holiday spam. On Wednesday, security firm McAfee issued several warnings, including one for an e-mail with the attachment Christmas+Blessing-4.ppt, which installs software that allows the spammer remote access to the infected computer.

As with all e-mails, users should use extreme caution when opening attachments, VeriSign warns.

Got This From My Bro This morning.

dsn

I don't download my emails with outlook into my computer anymore. I go directly to my web servers website and open the mail there. So my computer doesn't get infected. At least I don't think so anyways. Been good so far.

dsn

Could you explain how to "go directly to my web servers website and open the mail there..."?

Well for example lets say your internet provider is sympatico....then you'd go to sympatico page "get Mail" and open the emails there. Instead of downloading it into outlook.