Vest or Chestpack

ironstone74

neither - waistpack.

i found that both chest packs and vests place most of the support on my neck & shoulders, which strains my upper back.

having your hips carry the weight places the least amount strain on your back. that's why the good quality 90L mountaineering backpacks have heavy-duty waist belts.

the disadvantage to the waistpack is that depending on where you fish, you may periodically have to hike it up while crossing a stream.

i looked into to higher end fly fishing waist packs by fishpond and william joseph, but after talking to a couple of guys, settled on a hunting fanny pack from Bass Pro. it's good quality, has plenty of room, is not too bulky, and is only $35, as opposed to $90. I wear it with the pockets at the front.

also, try a search for this topic b/c i know it's come up before.

take care

Surprise, surprise. Three replies and three different preferences. That's never happened before. At least one of us is right. Kidding.

I can see situations where all three would excel. Good replies. I'll have to take a look next time I'm shopping ('cause I needed another reason to spend money).

had the same vest since i was 8 years old still works just fine for me.....couple rips in it now but its not how you look on the river, its how many fish you catch....im sure they all have their own pros and cons to them as well....

Till next time,

Hawk

The vest is nice because of the amount of different pockets. The pack is nice because its easier on you physically. Ive seen chest packs that might as well be vest though. Nice thing about the vest is it has a nice place to carry snacks and a drink. I dont know what to tell ya. Fishing a long day of stream wading for steelies I prefer the vest. Flyfishing and everything else I like the pack.

When I was steelheading,like everyone else, I wore a vest and stuffed the pockets with all sorts of flys, leader spools, split shot, floats, etc. Must have weight 25#, and made me look three times around as I was. The extra weight on my shoulders was causing pain and discomfort.

I started wearing a fanny pak, and still use one to this day when perching.

John