thow the big ones back

forrest

Ummm Kitchener is a City, not a town and your a LIAR!!!

There are no fish in Kitchener.... ;)

(kidding of course)

Habitat loss is surely a major issue for Specs in this area particularily but so is our "so called" climate change.

Many springs are starting to dry up in this area....Aberfoyle, and Formasa areas comes to mind.

I've also seen a huge flow reduction is some Nith River feeder streams as well.

Then you have the rapid spread of Brownies moving into river areas once considered Speck habitat to boot.

But for the most part I think most of this urban Speck fishing Debate is kinda redundent...

When it comes to keeping fish in an otherwised comprimised area I think its a no brainer not to keep any at all is it not?

Besides when catching fish in an urban area I definatly wouldn't keep any for consumption....Especially anything I caught around here LOL!

Well they are in KW, Laurel Creek, Melitzer Creek and Strasburg Creek are all functioanally done.

The slots in the French drive me crazy....my favorite fish to eat is pike believe it or not, and I have to go for a 40 minute boat ride to the Pickeral if I want an eater...my own thought is that by leaving all the large predators behind we could really throw things out of whack, it's all about balance

...my own thought is that by leaving all the large predators behind we could really throw things out of whack, it's all about balance

Can explain your thought on teh subject a little more? I'm curious as to what exactly you mean by this.

-R-

The slots in the French drive me crazy....my favorite fish to eat is pike believe it or not, and I have to go for a 40 minute boat ride to the Pickeral if I want an eater...my own thought is that by leaving all the large predators behind we could really throw things out of whack, it's all about balance

My thoughts on what bramptonjerry said were that the limits have to be dynamic or different for predator fish. Lets say 1 fish over X size and 4 under X size. Both Large and small fish have to be taken in proportion to each other or there may end up being a situation where there are a lot of big predator fish and not enough smaller fish to feed on.

The only qualified statement my education/experience allows me to say is: the small fish taste better.

forrest

Ideally yes but Im talking about a comprehensive zone wide regulation and joe angling public would have a coniption if you said you cant keep trout anymore.

The Single barbless/No kill zoneing on the Grand has done tremendous things for the Brownie population...might not be a bad idea for some other areas?

And I Can't say the local trout anglers would be to upset.

The Single barbless/No kill zoneing on the Grand has done tremendous things for the Brownie population...might not be a bad idea for some other areas?

And I Can't say the local trout anglers would be to upset.

Except make it self sustaining which was the goal of the whole project to begin with.

Youd be suprised how upset anglers get when you try to take fishing opportunities away. To use your own example a huge stink was raised by the pike anglers on the Grand river because the use of live bait was being prohibited. Not that they couldnt keep the pike, just the WAY they could fish for them.

I was under the impression the Brownie population in the Grand was doing well and has seen a riseing sustaining population?

At least thats what I've been told?

The rainbow stocking went the way of the dinosaur...although I saw a post last year of a young rainbow caught in the Zone, and they haven't been stocked in a while (not gonna say were outta respect for the poster)

I was under the impression the Brownie population in the Grand was doing well and has seen a riseing sustaining population?

At least thats what I've been told?

The rainbow stocking went the way of the dinosaur...although I saw a post last year of a young rainbow caught in the Zone, and they haven't been stocked in a while (not gonna say were outta respect for the poster)

Actually the bows might be better at naturally sustaining themselves than the browns. Every year people report unclipped rainbows being caught. The brown trout however dont do so well. The flow regime of the dam wreaks havoc with spawning redds washing them out and suffocating them with fines(silt deposits)We spent a lot of money intially to build a spawning channel for them. They used it successfully there were fish spawning all over it in October. Entire channel was wiped out in spring floods before any hatching could take place. They are hoping that some of the tribs might be able to produce young but the Grand is essentially a fish farm.

Edited by Musky or Specks