High Water and Fast Flows - Impact on Walleye Spawn/Opener

Dutch

Thought I would raise this interesting topic and hopefully generate some fishing related chatter.

High, fast water - will it play havoc on the walleye spawn this year. I know in Peterborough, walleye spawn by the hundreds (perhaps thousands) below lock 19. This year, they would be lucky to be able to swim against the current to get anywhere close. Even if they are laying down eggs, would they not get swept away by the current?

The other side of the coin - in past years the Waterway has lowered water levels too quickly after the spawn, causing eggs to be lost and apparently dreid out. This year, water levels will most likely be higher, leading to a good spawn once the current goes down.

I think it will be a late spawn this year and a slow opener because of it. Female fish that are caught will probably be egg layden. The late spawn will be a successful one with the higher water levels and that, combined with the changes to the regs this year will lead to a more successful walleye fishery in the future (at least in the Kawarthas IMO).

As far as the crappies season goes - higher water = cooler water = later start to them really turning on. I will be fishing first in shallow back bays where the water will warm quickest. last year they didn't really start to turn on until a week or so after opener (warmer temperatures). This year I think the best fishing will be had closer to 2 weeks after the opener, with the higher water, it will take longer for the water to warm up a bit.

What do you all think?

I think you are underestimating the walleye... I would be surprised to see any current that a walleye could not navigate...fish are designed to slide through the current with ease and that is exactly what the walleye will do. They will find the seams that they can sit in with relatively light current and wont have any problems. As far as the eggs go I dont know a whole lot about how it works if eggs get washed away... I would assume they may still hatch? But again I think that the walleye are smart, it is engrained into their systems to continue the species and Im sure they will find places to lay their eggs where they will not get swept?

Its going to be late for sure. Pickeral opener will be a hot crappie bite, and musky opener will be a hot pickeral bite. I took a tour around rice lake today, and most of the docks on the lake are under water. We're quickly approaching record water levels in all the kawartha's.......most of them are over full right now. Flood warnings were issued for rice lake yesterday. Its crazy.......I've never seen anything like it.......and neither have a lot of the oldtimers I've been talking to.

Still a bit of ice on rice as of today. Mainly just caught up between islands where the wind had blown it, but its still out there.

Its gonna be a different year that's for sure, but once it gets going, it should be great!

I'll be out for crappie opener.......its gonna be different for sure.......they'll be right on the banks.....literally on peoples lawns.....LOL. We'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

The pickeral will do thier thing, like always. Should be just fine. The only problem is they might be tied up in sactuaries for opener. They'll be lazy anyways......gettting some rest after spawning.

Sinker