Island Lake- tentative opening....

Dano

will be next Friday. I was doing some work there today and it looks like most of the ice is off, which surprised me because when I was there on Monday, the ice had blown to the west side and was covering at least half the lake. They were trying their best to get open this Friday, but that just isnt going to happen.

:Gonefishing: Years ago I fished Island Lake all I got was perch and weeds. I see last year the level of water was really down .There is a lot of stumps in the west end by the road. They say a lot of good sized pike and bass are caught.Maybe they will chomp down on the perch and the fishing will be better.I used to catch specks back in the east end in the original lake ,but that was a long time ago. Good luck on opening . :rolleyes:

Dano,

I was wondering if there is any shore fishing allowed there? I had heard that it was by rental electric / paddle boat only. I'm supposed to be up there May 1st (evening) and May 2nd for a work related seminar. I've got a couple of hours open on May 1st night and 1.5 hr opening on Friday the 2nd in the aft. I'm bringing my fishing gear just in case I do get an opportunity to scoot out to fish. PM me if you want to meet up on the 1st.

Stan

I fished there a bunch of times last summer. With the water levels as low as they were it was pretty tough on the little electrics thay have on the rental boats. Had some decent luck with the bass, tons of perch and bluegills, never saw a pike though.

first decent fish of the day

bass1.JPG

dad didn't let me revel in the glory for too long

bass2.JPG

I fished there a bunch of times last summer. With the water levels as low as they were it was pretty tough on the little electrics thay have on the rental boats. Had some decent luck with the bass, tons of perch and bluegills, never saw a pike though.

exactly why kayak fishing is on the cusp of an explosion in Ontario and Canada

Edited by nomad

Dano,

I was wondering if there is any shore fishing allowed there? I had heard that it was by rental electric / paddle boat only. I'm supposed to be up there May 1st (evening) and May 2nd for a work related seminar. I've got a couple of hours open on May 1st night and 1.5 hr opening on Friday the 2nd in the aft. I'm bringing my fishing gear just in case I do get an opportunity to scoot out to fish. PM me if you want to meet up on the 1st.

Stan

I fish there once or twice a year early in the season. After bass opener the weed is just impossible to deal with.

You can fish from shore there but all you will be getting would be bullhead and sunfish. Pretty limited. I suggest you to rent a canoe, not Far from the rental hut you can get into good action on pike and crappie. Do get a depth map from the entrance, the deep channel (only about 13' to 15') on the main lake would be your best bet.