How to pick reel possition on rod???

FLEX ROD

Help please, I picked up a new 13' Raven on Saturday and I am curious how others pick the location for their fishing reel.

In the past I have always tried to find the center / balance point of the rod with the reel temporarily attached and that is my location, but the new Raven has a nice long handle so I was thinking that I would position the reel high enough so that the end of the handle is just at the end of my elbow.

All advice is greatly appreciated.

And a quick second question, what do you use to attach the reel, clear hockey tape or electrical tape?

Thanks,

FLEX

For me, I normally line up the reel seat to have the butt end line up with my elbow. I hate having long butt grips - I find they get caught up in my wading jacket when casting and trying to land fish.

I don't use sliding rings to attach my reels. I prefer fixed reel seats. My dad uses electrical tape on his sliding rings...He never had a problem.

I think Danbo was referring to using the inner tube, you won't need to use tape.

I've got this cool shrink grip material I use for my carp rod butt grips and I would imagine it probably would work the same as Danbo's method - albeit a more permanent solution.