Beach Fishing

buttah

Hello everyone, I was wondering if any one had some advice on beach fishing for steelhead. Is it a good time of year right now?(I don't think so because the majority of fish should be in the river already,right?)How big do you tie your eggs-is bigger better? And also would you prefer floating eggs or sinking ones? Thanks for your time.

i dont do alot of shore casting for steel, but do live in the rivers all fall/winter/and spring.

So im no expert.........however Most pier/shore fishing at river mouths is done casting hardware, not still fishing. Not to say you cannot still fish a bag under a float (sinking bag) or a weighted bottom rig with a bag (floating bag to get it off bottom). But they arent my first choice......first off, a bag under a flaot......would not do well if there was any chop on teh water as your float would be bobbing with the waves on teh surface and inturn would be making your presentation look like a yo-yo. Fishing eggs from teh bottom up may be a more successful tactic. But again.......your not covering much water or looking for fish that way......your waiting for them to find you as you sit in one spot. I would get some of the popular casting lures for the river mouths such as spoons (cleos, ko wobblers etc) or some stick baits.......Rapala J-11's or 13's jointed are a good choice. Large Vibrax spinners, rattle traps.......the list goes on.........but i would say casting and covering water is a much better bet for these guys at the mouths.

As far as time of year........i know browns on the south shore of ontario (my area) will be doing well very soon if not already at the mouths.......and the steelhead will be dropping back into the lake as well and feeding as they exit the creeks in and around the piers and river mouths so go for it.

If waters are stained go with big flourescents with rattlers , anything big , bright, and that makes alot of noise........if your fishing clear conditions..........downsize your presentation to match

Hey, Where abouts are you located? On the north part of Lake Superior we are doing that right now wtih scucess, as the rivers are just starting to open up right now, and with the major snow we are getting right now it will be a few days still. But we are doing well off the beach and letting the spawn sit till the steel hit. We use 10'6 light action rods, with a large barrell sinker above a two way swivel. From the swivel there is the leader about 2 feet to a floating spawn bag. We have got them on many different sizes. the only key this fishing is patience, and a large thermos of coffee.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm from Orangeville so I fish Georgian bay areas never cared much for lake Ontario. But yea I was using big weights/swivel then some froghair with floatin and sinking eggs but got nothin all day yesterday nothing caught from anyone else either. Oh well gotta pay the dues. Like you say anders is a waiting game with this type of fishing-on shore winds,good clarity but they weren't there.Its a good distance from the river mouth so maybe I should be closer or at the mouth who knows.Again thanks everyone.