Mapcreate 6 Question

Rich Clemens

I just started playing around with my Lowrance H2O and MapCreate 6 software today. I had purchased the Canadian Topo CDs. Created a couple maps on my PC and I'm soon ready to transfer them to the GPS unit. The kit came with an 8 mg card, but rather than registering that card (as one of my 5), I'll be picking up a 512mg to use in the unit. So I have not transferred any maps as of yet.

For anyone using this software, how big/small are you 'creating' your maps ? What I have done to this point is to Zoom In/Out until the entire area I want is showing on my monitor. Then I create the map border and enter any other information I want to include. For example: I fish out of Wolseley Bay on the French River, so the map I created on my screen would include Wolseley Bay, Five Finders, and the area surrounding Crane's Wilderness lodge. I took this route so that I can create a map for each specific area in which I fish. Then I can load the specific map into the unit's memory and work with something that pertains to the specific area I am in at the time.

Would this be a reasonable 'rule of thumb' or would I be better off zooming out and creating a couple larger maps, with one map contain multiple areas in which I fish ? Just curious as to how detailed others are creating maps with MapCreate 6

Thanks in Advance.

Hey Rich, I picked up two, 1 Gig, cards and they're really cheap now. First I tried to load a huge map and the whole process froze on me after quite a bit of waiting. Then I was successful loading smaller rectangles of maps that joined each other. On one card I have all the maps I need to take me from Tennessee to above the 53rd in NW Ontario. I've included maps to take me from middle Tennessee to Reelfoot Lake where I intend to hunt crappies next year. The same card takes me to North and South Carolina and from Tennessee to the Florida Keys.

You might want or need to load only one rectangle at a time. That works well. It's fast and easy.

I believe you could include the total area where you intend to put the system to use.

I should have mentioned that I also use my Lowrance X15 in my van as well as on the water. I don't drink enough to attempt traveling from Tennessee to Florida in a boat. I bought an extension cable for the white hockey puck and placed it above the dash.

I'm somewhat handicapped in this area and I'm sure that a better informed member will soon come up with a post that will help both of us.