Cobourg Creek Rainbow trout fish lift ***CANCELED***

Ron

THE FISH LIFT HAS BEEN CANCELLED FOR THIS WEEKEND. DUE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS. IT IS NOW SCHEDULED FOR THE NEXT WEEKEND, APRIL 19th.

Folks,

Looks like the Cobourg Fish Lift will occur this Saturday (April 12), beginning at 9:00 am at the golf course in Cobourg.

For anyone interested in helping out or would just like to play spectator, please feel free to show up!

I have been volunteering for this project for about 20 yrs now. I get great satisfaction doing my part. It's my way of putting something back into the fisheries.

Hope to see you there. I will post more information like directions and so forth later on.

Edited by Ron

Hey Ron,

Thanks for posting that! I have also volunteered a few years doing that.

I will save you the time of writing directions.

Cobourg Creek Golf Course

On the corner of Elgin St. and Ontario St.

From the 401 - Take the Burnham St. Exit, head south.

At the lights at Elgin street (Best Western on the corner), take a left.

2nd set of lights is Ontario. Golf course is right on the corner.

Thanks Stoty.

This year I have stepped up in the ranks, so to say..... I will be one of the spotters. I'll be the guy set up on the top of the dam giving directions to the ATV and such.

Woo hoo! no more hip or chest waders for me netting fish! (actually I will miss that part.)

Here is what was written up in the local News Paper.

An annual exercise to encourage the propagation of rainbow trout returns Saturday, April 12, and volunteers are needed. And for you young people, adds Jim Jubenville (who is organizing the event with Fred Ball), this could count toward your high school community service requirement.

The fish lift under the falls at Pratt's Pond - at the corner of Elgin and Ontario streets in Cobourg - begins (weather permitting) at 9 a.m. with two important purposes: to give Ministry of Natural Resources representatives a chance to evaluate the rainbow trout population and to lift the fish over the falls in order to help them to their spawning grounds upstream in Baltimore.

Volunteers with waders and nets are needed for the event, which will see 100 male and 100 female rainbow trout netted, presented to ministry personnel and then lifted over the dam.

The ministry officials inspect the fish for eel marks, measure them, check if they have spawned yet, Mr. Jubenville said, as they have done annually for at least several decades now. In all that time, there have been no reports of any fish killed or even traumatized by the experience.

This is important, he continued, as the rainbow trout population is decreasing. One example of the challenges they face is the silting of the pool beneath the falls from the golf course. Mr. Jubenville remembers when that pond was seven feet deep. It's closer to two and a half now, and its capacity for supporting the fish is dramatically reduced. To go in with a backhoe to dredge it out is not an option, as that would undermine the dam.

Mr. Jubenville remembers a time when catching 300 to 400 fish for the lift was a snap. On Saturday, the event will last until 200 are caught, which he estimates will take three hours or less.

Thanks Stoty.

This year I have stepped up in the ranks, so to say..... I will be one of the spotters. I'll be the guy set up on the top of the dam giving directions to the ATV and such.

Woo hoo! no more hip or chest waders for me netting fish! (actually I will miss that part.)

probably just figured your gettin old and too slow :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd move this up for Ron. I did this a couple of years ago and it was pretty cool to see and to help out with. If you've got nothing going on and your in the area be sure to stop by and check it out. I'd love to be there but I've got some birds to deal with. <_< I hope the day goes well Ron.