rebuilt motors

workwear

what kinda motor on a outboard you gotta split the cases anyhow and the crank bearings are individual except on smaller hp Yamahas there one piece like a snowmobile,ive rebuilt many and never had a problem ,if the crank is questionable have a machine shop look at it before you put it in back in,and im not a beliver in the new rings new pistons caused my bottom end to go thats ole wives tales

Edited by 2 Tone Z71

Boatman, I believe they were discussing the powerhead itself.

In a quality overhaul redoing pistons and rings the bearings in the crankshaft would be inspected anyway. Along with seals and other components.

It would be foolish not to.

What you may be referring to is overhauling a cylinder head on a 4 stroke as repairing the "top end"

In engines with lots of running time on them if you do a valve job it's possible that the "bottom end" may require repair soon as well.

Edited by Bernie

Well, I usually only work on small engines but depending on the failure annalsys if the top end failure was caused by leaning out (piston and ring(s) scored or seized, I would sure be looking at the lower end seals, crank or crank case. Air leaks are the number one cause followed by running with improper carb settings or an air leak in the intake. Your question is a good one but hard to answer without knowing more about what caused the failure in the first place. Give me more information, what size motor, 2 or 4 stroke, symptoms pior to failure.