fulton swing away tongue help

aniceguy

Well an injury has me on some down time so I decided to install a swing away tongue. Appears like a very easy task at first glance...but man can looks be decieving...Pretty much got stopped in my tracks on trying to tighten up the bolts. Not a tool in my chest can clamp the inside bolts.

Has anyone done this, is there a specific tool to help...even better Im in MIssissauga and if someone has done this before and wants to come help put it on Im happy to pay ya

Sorry I can't help you but I'll be watching this one with interest. My buddy had a Fulton swing-away and it is sagging quite badly after one season. He thinks it's just loose bolts - would be good to know if there is a trick to keeping these things secure.

Can you post a picture? I use to work for EZ-Loader building boat trailers but I am having trouble understanding why you are having a problem. If I can see what you have to work with, I probably have the tools to do the job and I could run down there on Thursday and do it for you.

I managed to get 1 part on the swing, its the cutting and some minor rewiring I dread doing... on the actual trailer Cliff sent ya a PM I have the wiring to add to the trailer if needed. Its the cut and such I need the help with given I got a broken foot its a otugh one..appreciate the offer

As for the bow hapening in it...I cant see how that can happen unless he has some serious weight on it..Bolts seem to taper down from 3/4 by a bit to ensure a real snug fit...

Hey Bud,

I've install that same swing away tongue with no problems on the installation part. The only thing with me I was missing few bolts/nuts and called for them to send me extra. Very good service, got them from the US in few days and completed the project shortly after. Cutting was easy, drilling holes as well. Not sure why you have problems with yours...I was holding the inside bolts with ratchet socket and tighting from the outside with regular wrench. No issues there....I've drove the trailer with the boat on few times already and haven't noticed any issues with sagging. I was careful not to cut/drill into any of the existing wires as I've re-used all the old existing wires.

Maybe the guy forgot installing the extra support plates inside. They are quite thick and with those one should not be any sagging.

Anyhow...I'll see how mine performs in the new season but so far so good.

I am not far from you, so if you want to come and see mine you are welcome to, just PM me.

Cheers,

Emil

Edited by icefisherman

Well an injury has me on some down time so I decided to install a swing away tongue. Appears like a very easy task at first glance...but man can looks be decieving...Pretty much got stopped in my tracks on trying to tighten up the bolts. Not a tool in my chest can clamp the inside bolts.

Has anyone done this, is there a specific tool to help...even better Im in MIssissauga and if someone has done this before and wants to come help put it on Im happy to pay ya

Post a pic! I think I know what you are trying to do but without a pic I am totally guessing.

forrest

PS: I am looking to put one of them on myself. Right now I am taking the hitch off the the trailer so it fist in the garage right.

Edited by forrest

Maybe the guy forgot installing the extra support plates inside. They are quite thick and with those one should not be any sagging.

Wouldn't be surprised given all the problems with the boat. Guess we'll have to have a close look at it before heading out for the first trip.

Louis, if you haven't cut the trailer light wires yet, see if you can just pick up an extension harness at CTC it will have the plug on both ends and will save you having to cut and splice wires. Just give the plugs a light coating of vasaline before you put them together and that will keep them from corroding. If CTC doesn't have one then any RV place should.