Does anybody fly fish crappie?

MuddyWater

Ya we flyfish for crappie all the time in Cooks bay. Small minnow pattern like a black nose dace or a Hammills likker and you will have a great day.

I usually go all the time in the spring give me a call sometime

Dave

Hi,

I keep a 5 wt in my boat locker just for the purpose of crappie fishing. I cast about 35’ with WF line on the 5wt in a calm day. I use some homemade weighted leech and streamers, size 6 or 8 will do, I don’t think you have to go finesse for the spawning scrappers. I will be getting some new floating line and try to catch one (if I can find any LOL…) on the surface this year.

Good fishing.

I've tied some flies on a jighead in the past and did well with it until my bad head cement job gave up after about 20 or so fish (all small). Some patterns above have peaked my interest as well, I think I'll try and tie some up to give it a go too.

Keep in mind my flyfishing skills are novice at best, I bought one of those south bend fly fishing kits and used to catch a ton of crappies off a local dock on the flies that came with the kit. They were wet flies but also got some on dry flies. The pattern names I have no clue, I just chose the closest looking thing to a mayfly or hornet.