Shore Fishing In Barrie

Hi folks.

I'm planning on taking a trip up from T.O to Barrie on Friday to go fishing with a mate and his brother from Spain. :Gonefishing:

Its the first time i've fished there but have heard such good reports for Perch fishing from the docks that I'm really looking forward to it. With any luck I might even beat my PB of a 1lb Perch caught when I was a kid living in the UK.

Can anyone give me a clue as to where to go and what to use to catch a few jumbos from shore? Are the docks easy to get to from the bus station? Do lures, Jigs or worms work best? Morning or afternoon best? Should I bring my xraps for some pike action too?

Any help would be appreciated as i've not been there before but am hoping to show our guest from overseas some good Ontario soft water winter fishing, seeing as our ice fishing plans have had to be shelved. :( We're totally catch n release fishermen so any we catch will be going back in the water for another day. PM me if you don't want the world to know your top perchin tips :D

Thanks in advance for your help :thumbsup_anim:

007 :santa:

I have only gone a few times but the last time I was at the docks the perch would come in so thick u could not see the bottom. There will be a lot of dinks but you will get a bunch in the 8-12 inch range. I always use minnows under a float or on a really tiny jig. Good luck

Your best bet will be up #400 to Essa Road, come east to Tiffen (a couple klicks) right, a short block to Lakeshore Drive, left, and you'll see a parking lot on your right . . . . just pick a spot, hang a worm or minnow about 12' under a slip float, and cast out as far as you can. Or, you can go north half a klick on Lakeshore to the Barrie marina, fish off the slips around past the boat ramp. If you're takin' kids, these are FLOATING docks, put floatation devices on 'em!! Again, either a float or bottom fish . . . . minnow, worm, small plastics, jig head. Or . . . . come just a bit further north, to a big junk pile (sculpture??) of scrap metal . . . . . cast into the channel anywhere along the path. These are 3 decent spots, if there's an on shore wind, the shelter of the marina is best. Good luck. Simcoe Bait & Tackle opens around 07:00 . . . I don't have their address, I THINK they're on Tiffen though, not far from Essa . . . . they'll be on Google. Good luck & enjoy.

P. S.

The 'junk pile' I refer to is right across from the bus station . . . . the marina 5 minute walk south.

Edited by Photoz