Fresh Roe

buckster

Best way is to water harden your eggs naturally....

Might be a little late for this method but, Take a pair of nylons from your wifes drawer and cut the bottoms off. Make shure theres no holes. Put fresh roe from fish after caught in the nylon and gently rince in a nice clean pool at the river preferably with some current going by to wash away the impurities. Let sit in a clean pool of water for five or ten minutes and repeat. Now drain eggs of water competely and place in cooler.

This seems to work for me and I even freeze the eggs afterwords and it doesn't seem to bother them...

Good Luck !!

If loose and water cured in the stream where you got them they could last up 3 or 4 weeks in the fridge.... If they are still in the skien and you bled the hen right after catching they should last about 10 days maybe more refrigerated. What I like to do with eggs in the skien is tie them right away and then freeze em in batches big enough for an outing. I really don't have much experience with using cures because so far leaving them all natural works great. On Friday I was using some eggs I caught on boxing day and tied that night and froze. I caught as many fish as anybody who was using fresh roe from that week..... Freezing them TIED first, right away to me keeps them the best if you can't use them in a week or less though. I tried to freeze a skien one time and then thaw it to tie and it was so gooey and hard to work with. Loose eggs water hardened and frozen then tied are easy to work with though....

If their still in the skein, spoon them out, rinse in spring water, and shake and bake in Borax. For loose eggs, water harden in the river, make salt brine from river water, let sit in brine for about 1 hour, dry and store in fridge.

I have loose eggs in the fridge from 3 years ago. Never frozen, and still as good as the day I caught the fish.