Minn Kota Auto Pilot Question

SlowPoke

I'm considering upgrading my bow-mount and looking at the PowerDrive V2 AP/US2.

I would like to be able to set the kicker motor to troll at my desired speed and let the bow-mount control the steering. Will auto-pilot correct the direction of the boat without being the main propulsion? (only kick in to correct coarse otherwise in nuetral)

Hello,

You need to set the PowerDrive speed at just the right amount of thrust to control the bow. So when the bow moves left or right you will have enough thrust to correct the heading. I often do this when trolling into or on an angle to the wind. Use the kicker to provide transom thrust and a small amount of constant electric bow thrust to control the bow direction. For this type of set up I would recommend at least a 24 volt system as a 12 volt system will drain down quickly when trolling for extended periods.

-sheldon

Brian I ran the auto pilot I bought from Jos last year at Colchester without a kicker and it ran 6 hours and was not dead at the end of the day. I was told to do exactly what eye tracker has explained and have the control with you at the back, that way if minor corrections are needed its an arms length away. I believe the cord is 20 ft long.

Thanks for the feedback folks. I don't think it'll do exactly what I want but it should come fairly close. Now I just have to find the money for a new kicker and minn kota!

corvette1, the tr-1 is not in the near future for me. For that kind of money, I could get my wife a pair of...

A - airline tickets to Australia

B - diamond earrings

C - boobs

I know, I'm a good hubby, always thinking of her first.

-Brian