Laker Flies

Ramble

I'm looking for some fly pattern's for lakers. I'm going to try and catch one on the fly as soon as the ice is off this year....I have a feeling i might be biting off more then i can chew! <_<

I have a few ideas for bait fish patterns, but anything would really be helpful. Even if you could just mention colour combo's that you find work well.

Any help would be great

Thanks Again

-Ramble

Edited by Ramble On

Most of the lakes around here have smelts in them so anything that looks like a smelt is a winner. I've found that right after ice-out can result in some slow fishing but if you wait until the surface water hits about 45F, you'll catch them on or very near surface all over the lake. I've caught them here, regularly, near surface right into June and one year, the latest I caught one on surface (or as deep as a floating rapala will troll) was on the 11th of July when you'd expect them down below 20 ft. I was actually fishing for bass at the time.

Some particulars Dave that I know of are,

Incredible Silver Minnow. You won't Google this one, but it is a pattern that is said to do well on ice out lakers on Temagami. You'd have to pm me for details.

Grey Ghost.

Zonker.

Any streamer pattern that immitates the lake's forage minnows or prey species. ie, many dace, sculpin and shiner patterns can be googled.

Others, maybe leech or stonefly patterns as they may be available at ice out.

And lastly, the only fly I've actually caught lakers on is the pattern I sent to you in that pm a few weeks back. Simple 3-4 inch white streamers tied with a couple colored saddle hackle feathers at the tail (red, yellow, blue whatever) and bucktail right up the shank to the head. I like 4X 2/0 down to size 2 hooks. They work great for pike too. But, you'll need beef to push that hair on the cast... for you though bud, you got that 10 to 1 double haul down brutha. lol