Crossover GPS Purchase

gekhunter

I am looking to purchase my first GPS unit. I would like it more for water but would like it to be dual purpose- for car and boat- so I can get more use out of it. I also want to spend under $500 so I like the price of this.

Has anyone tried the Lowrance XOG? They have this unit at Radioworld for $279 and I am interested but just want to see if anyone has anything good or bad to say about the unit.

Here is the link to the unit I am looking at:

Lowrance XOG

Thanks

Greg

We had the same idea as you...purchased a Garmin eTrex Vista Cx. Works great in the boat and in the car.

Garmin has replaced it with a newer model Hcx. It is more sensitive.

Map options are endless.

Got it from Radioworld as well.

Not familiar with Lowrance GPS.

Hope this helps.Link to Garmin

I am looking to purchase my first GPS unit. I would like it more for water but would like it to be dual purpose- for car and boat- so I can get more use out of it. I also want to spend under $500 so I like the price of this.

Has anyone tried the Lowrance XOG? They have this unit at Radioworld for $279 and I am interested but just want to see if anyone has anything good or bad to say about the unit.

Here is the link to the unit I am looking at:

Lowrance XOG

Thanks

Greg

Ive heard that the Colorado is suppose to be pretty good and just under budget. http://radioworld.ca/product_info.php?products_id=4576 Im not sure what the base maps are like for roads :dunno:

Pinch

Bought the XOG for my father in law for Christmas, so far I am very impressed with it. The nice thing is it uses the same Navionics chips used in all Lowrance/Eagle products, so if you ever decide to upgrade for the boat you already have the chips. The base maps supplied with the units are very accurate as well. I personally use the older Lowrance model and still love it but the new one has a lot more features designed specifically for multi-use. If you are interested send me a PM and I can get you a number of a shop who is one of the best I have ever talked to about the Lowrance line up.

Ive heard that the Colorado is suppose to be pretty good and just under budget. http://radioworld.ca/product_info.php?products_id=4576 Im not sure what the base maps are like for roads :dunno:

Woohoo! My first post!

The Garmin Colorado's base maps are pretty basic. Only major highways and roads are displayed, along with basic topographic data. However, the units should be compatible with Garmin's full line of maps, although the costs do add up when purchasing additional maps.

LeBaron should also have competitive prices ($449.94) -- especially if you take advantage of their 10% off membership deal for $25 (an additional net savings of almost $25).

One other thing to note: these units just hit the market, so they'll still have plenty of bugs and issues to work out. But, Garmin has a strong track record for support, the ergonomics are a step above the last generation, and I'm sure it'll be in Garmin's lineup for awhile.

Cheers.

Guest lundboy

If you want to use Navionics Gold or Hotmaps, you need a XOG. Other than that, I don't think any other models or brands will work with Navionics Lake Maps

Edited by lundboy

I purchased the XOG just before Christmas, It's a nice unit, but has a few faults. Great for ice fishing, when using the Navionics Gold card. The faults with this unit are: alot of the roads when used in the automoblie, look like they are going into the water.(lots of the roads around Lake Ontario look like they are in the water). The second problem is they are difficult to see in the bright sun.( needs a visor around them). Battery life of this rechargable unit is not the best.(lighter socket around, then your ok). Lowrance has updated the firmware twice since my purchase, still have not fixed the roads going into the water.(I have wrote to lowrance about this issue)

Even with these faults, I find the unit worth purchasing for it's versatility and price.(boat, car and on foot)

just my thoughts