TORONTO / GTA SMALLIES + other video, pics etc.

snag

This should just about do it for 2007.

Pics and vids mostly of smallies caught in T.O.

These are short and uncut.

Some are caught on my expensive gear and a bunch are on my back-up, cheap telescopic rod with spincast reel.

I keep the telescopic on me for emergencies.

Basically, I target pike with heavier gear. I keep the telescopic around if I see bass or if my primary gear breaks.

The telescopic is very small but as you'll see, it has been fantastic to have around.

Almost all the fish were caught on the Dollarama spinner and the others were on a fake worm.

Here they are:

1. Emergency equip./ telescopic rod videos

V:

Here's the money shot from DSN:

med_gallery_82_84_49049.jpg

This was a shock. suprised I didn't lose it.

V:Pike

It was this one:

med_gallery_82_84_78001.jpg

This was on a crazy windy day

V:Fidel the bass

2. Expensive gear videos

V:

V:

gallery_82_84_6953.jpg

There's is a good reason that this spinner out performs regular expensive spinners.

I tested my theory many times.

The regular spinner has a heavier blade and in a honey hole like this I watched the blade prevent the bass from hooking up.

The Dollarama spinner is lighter overall. It has a very light, thin blade which allows the basses mouth to engulf the lure more readily.

This is the only one I recommend to buy:

med_gallery_82_84_32135.jpg

V: Basshole

After this was shot I went back with Clives spinner and caught some bigger ones.

Here's a big ugly drum caught on it too:

gallery_82_84_41706.jpg

3. Some Killer FILLER

V:Pike on a jig

V:

V:

[/u]

edit: these are from the cottage.

My family takes fish fries very seriously.

My neices giddy over our dinner pike

med_gallery_82_84_34198.jpg

My dad with his

med_gallery_82_84_73090.jpg

Enjoy the weather!

S.

Edited by SNAG

Nice catches!

Looks like those eating pike were caught at a cottage somewhere so you are probably okay from the dreaded GTA cooties and contaminants.

Mike

Interestingly enough, if you go by the OMNR consumption guidelines, pike are perfectly safe to eat in toronto waters...in fact even the sizable ones have zero consumption restrictions... i think this has something to do with the fact that the troublesome contaminants in Lake O are PCB's and Mirex - neither of which affect pike b/c these chemicals have an affinity to fatty fish (salmon, trout) and don't show up in the meat of leaner fish like pike and walleye

Great pics/vids... looks like Lakefront Promenade...that spot has some very sweet weedbeds..saw a large pike there last spring..

Interestingly enough, if you go by the OMNR consumption guidelines, pike are perfectly safe to eat in toronto waters...in fact even the sizable ones have zero consumption restrictions... i think this has something to do with the fact that the troublesome contaminants in Lake O are PCB's and Mirex - neither of which affect pike b/c these chemicals have an affinity to fatty fish (salmon, trout) and don't show up in the meat of leaner fish like pike and walleye

Great pics/vids... looks like Lakefront Promenade...that spot has some very sweet weedbeds..saw a large pike there last spring..

The pike would be more palatable if I didn't have to play them around broken sewer pipes and discarded Ice beer bottles.

On the other hand, that could be a darn tasty marinade.........

Thanks PP2

Great stuff Grant! Although seeing all these summer reports is driving me crazy! Bly and I haven't wet a line in over a month now....we need to catch something soon....LOL.

Loved the video and commentary...adds a certain elegance...LOL.

Yes, I'm elegant now Cliff.

But you have over 4000 posts.

Your fingers must be the size of my legs?!!!

Size of my legs man!

!!!!!!!!!!!

Please tell Carol I'm sorry for the Taco comment and that we should fish this spring again.

Edited by SNAG

Those are some awesome smallies and pike SNAG! so where'd ya catch the smallies??? :blahblah1:....of course I'm kidding, Awesome fish!

Hey Ben,

Saw your other reply about the superbraid.

Yeah, it was a little noisey! LOL

Kind of interesting,

The smallies were caught mostly lakeside on Lake O. They were mostly in the deep, manmade shoreline breakwalls (you know, those large boulders) and very active in August.

Prior to August and Sept. they did nothing??

The Bassholes that I found were empty by Sept.10th

Not what I'm used to up north.

Hey SNAG thanks for the tip on the breakwalls! Those GTA smallies are elusive! Ive seen some bedding in early spring in sheltered bays at a couple different spots through GTA, but when Bass season opened up they were no where to found!

I think its time to hit up the dollorama for some spinners :thumbsup_anim: