Lake Nippissing trip 18-20 Jan

Fisherman

Made the annual trip up to Lake Nippissing for a bit of ice fishing and relaxation with my boys, 23+25, not so little any more. The road trip had its hairy moments, whiteouts from the weather and mad transport drivers rolling in convoys 5-7 trucks long, can't see anything when they do that. Made it to our destination at Idle Tyme Fish Camp by 3pm, met by the owner who prompty wisked the boys out to the hut in the comfort of the "big green bubble", big plastic hut on skis. I played cabin floosy, got everything packed into the cottage and listened to the action on the GMRS radio. Good bites. Saturday a little cooler, the bite was slow but steady, perch, heering, and a decent fat walleye, unfortunately slot sized so it went back pronto. Sunday was even colder, -30 and clear, only caught a few perch. All in all, had a great time. We've done the "on ice condo's" a few times and wanted to try out the cottage and day hut routine instead. IMHO, much, much better this way, warm bed, lots of room, TV, nice warm white porcelin to sit on, and hey, fish don't bite much at night anyway and all for the same price. His huts have wood stoves, lots of heat and ideal for cooking lunch. I have no problem recommending this outfit, we got everything we wanted.

thats great news as we are heading to the same place feb3.is there anything we need to bring with us aside from the usual list? thanks for the info cheers jamie

We brought sleeping bags although full bedding was provided. A small portable radio for the ice hut, PAPER TOWEL, tea towel for drying dishes, your own towel and wash kit, or, bring paper plates and plastic kfs. Other than that, everything was there. One more thing, a small lantern or flashlight for in the hut early morning/evening gets pretty dark in there.

Edited by Fisherman