you folks always have great advice lodge

bramptonjerry

I just got back on here after a couple of years absense but occasionally have checked things out as a guest, looking for a lodge for spring fishing trip like horwood lake but they have changed owners and am a bit weary about going back...clean cabins, nice hosts, no guides required, no hiking (my partner has arthritic knees) that's what I'm looking for....suggestions?

5 Mile Lake Lodge about 30km south of Chapleau.

Dave and Christine are great.

Lots of fish, 50/day for my wife and I every day we were there. They are conservation minded and frown on keeping the big ones. My wife and I ave fished Dog Lake, It blows,Racine lake was alright, but more of a piss up place for the locals. I got a 43" Pike in a

Racine and 15 to 20 eyes every day.

If you hit 5 mile lake exxpect to fish shallow, less then 7 feet. The eyes average 16" to 20" and you will loose a tonne of jigs to the hammer handle pike.

You can hit some of the surrounding streams for Specs, every ditch has them in the area.

Anymore info please feel free to PM me.

No, you miss understood, I reccomended % mile Lake lodge, Brampton Jerry wants a place with a meal plan, not going to get a meal plan at 5 Mile. I say screw the meals, last year we stayed a Dog LAke and had a meal plan and absoulute garbage fishing.

|I will cook my own meals any day if the fishing is decent.

I'll assume you want a drive-to lodge?

Fly-in gives you a few more very decent options in N/E Ontario....

But anyway if it's a drive-to you want check out Camp Localsh/Loch Island Lodge on

Wabatongushi Lake in the Chapleau game preserve.

Wabatong is an awesome lake, over 22 miles long with excellent walleye fishing.

I've fished it with my own boat. Never stayed at either camps, but they both look damn good

from the water LOL!

The gravel road to the landing is long and dusty and very few people beyond the lodge guests

use it.

You can also take the Algoma Central Railway in and out (it's quite cheap) as it hits the west shore of the lake.

A very good option if you don't want to drive the gravel road...

http://www.lochisland.com/index.html

Cheers, Mike

Solo....

When you went to that lake, did you just camp on Crown Land...on selected campsites?

dk

You got it bud, we just camped wherever we wanted.

Unfortunately this option is not legal for non residents on Wabatong though..

(However, if that's the kind of thing you're interested in, pm me and I can give you

some other very good options :) )