Pier Fishing with a Rod Stand

jakemeister

Hi guys...I'm a new member. I did a little rainbow fishing this fall from shore at Meaford, noticed the guys were using long rods on stands. Their rods seemed to move around less in the wind than mine even though they were sticking straight up in the air. Could anyone please point me in the right direction to pickup the appropriate gear for this type of fishing? Thanks.

Jake

Welcome to the board. If you could be a bit more specific about exactly what type of rod stand you saw we could probably help you better.

The kind I have seen used are available commercially. I got mine at Natural Sports in Kitchener it was 26.00 bucks. It is about 36" tall with an 8" spike bent into an L shape welded on so the 6" part of the L faces down parallel to the main shart about 10" up. On an angle at the top it has a piece of tube steel that the rod handle fits into..... I took the one I bought to an old family friend he welded me up 5 out of some scrap he had lying around, in about 2 hrs. So it is quite easy to make your own if you have the welding equipment. I did find out when he made them that the steel tube was just standard 1 1/2" tail pipe about 5" long. I find the ones he made much studier for some reason too. Having a bigger kick out than the 2 or so inches that the one I bought came with helps a lot on a beach in high winds too.

Note to self STOP giving them away I just checked my storage area to get the measurements and I have given 4 of them away, already. LOL

Edited by Canuck2fan

MOst are custom made tripod, wood dowels and abs pipe. The key to not having your rod whip around in the wind can be linked to 2 different things. The rod holder should also have a rest at least half way up the rod. you'll also find that a good drop line/weight system will help anchor your line when casting out.

Google Surf Rod Holders or Surf fishing

and see some of the salt water rigs. Thats where the design originated

Thanks fellas for the advice. I was looking more for suggestions on what type of rod to use. Are they using super fast float rods or is there some other type of rod to look for? They all seem to be 12 to 13 feet long. I was looking at the Matrix rod at BassPro. Any suggestions? Thanks

There's a ton of good noodle rods out there to choose from. When I'm doing that type of fishing (rod in a holder) I use a 9 foot ugly stick. Plenty long enough for me. Hurts the crap out of my neck trying to look up in the air at a 13 footer all day.

There's a ton of good noodle rods out there to choose from. When I'm doing that type of fishing (rod in a holder) I use a 9 foot ugly stick. Plenty long enough for me. Hurts the crap out of my neck trying to look up in the air at a 13 footer all day.

Yeah I know about the crink in the neck alright that is why on the pier I use my bait bag as a prop so it is only about a foot off the ground. Just don't wander off, a couple of times I grabbed the handle as it was up past my knees and going over...... LOL.

One tip for the long rods though is to sit back far enough so that you don't have to crane your neck which is what we all do when on a beach. Also have your holder far enough from the water so you have a fair chance to grab it should something start to pull it in.

Edited by Canuck2fan

I used to fish a bunch of river mouths out east in a similar fashion and personnally never liked the real long light noodle rod. I found them a bit too light when chucking a 1/2 egg sinker set up. Some of the guys using them had to start running backwards on the hooksets to pick up line fast enough to get a good set.

Look for anything in 6-12lb range that is more than 8 1/2 ft long. Mine was (was means I broke it closing my truck years ago) 10 1/5 ft 6-10lb with very fast action. The more back bone in the rod makes it easier to set the hook when making really long casts or lots of line out.

We used to wear waders and walk out to chest deep, fire off a long cast and then walk back to shore and set the rod up in a tripod and wait for a bite. You needed a reel that held 300 yds plus of 6lb and fast line pick up

There a bunch of rods to choose from now, Shimano, Zebco, St Croix

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I guess it's not the length of the rod that counts as much as the stiffness. I'm using a 10 1/2 foot Berkeley what they call a trout rod but probably is just too whippy. I get what you mean about the difficulty casting larger weights and getting a good set. Thanks for your advice fellas. I guess I'll head off to BassPro and do some looking at a St. Croix or something.

Jake

all you have to do is make a rod holder with a little flag on the base of it. set it so your bail can be open and when a fish bites the flag pulls down and your line free spools. dont have to look at the rod tip at all and you can fish in 100km winds lol hope this helps