Anyone ever used Glen Echo on Callandar Bay?

mufasa001

Going up in two weeks to use one of their "bungalows on ice". Was wondering if anyone out there had any feedback on the Glen Echo operators, and how the fishing is. Have heard some rumors (after I booked the trip, of course) that Callandar Bay does not produce so well much after first ice, and I am just getting a little nervous.

Am taking the wife and kids, and I really looking to show them a good time.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

:D

you should do ok. we went out to glen echo last winter at first ice.. caught several walleye, and the herring kept us busy non-stop. when we went, it was literally first ice, and the did not set up their bungalow very far from shore. i suspect you'll be a little further out.

and the did not set up their bungalow very far from shore. i suspect you'll be a little further out.

Been twice and neither time were the huts that far out from the boat launch. Nice huts but fishing was slow both times. 18'-20' of water. It seems to me hut location is chosen for the operators convenience & not the best fishing location. Caught a few fish each time but sure wasn't kept busy catching fish. Post a report when you get back.

Good Luck: Rick

Just got back yesterday from Glen Echo. The new owners were great and did a good job. The fishing was alot better than it has been there in the past. Our hut was in 28 feet of water and the action was pretty steady through out the day. Our hut iced 12 walleye,30+perch(11inchers),2 cisco and 6 puppies(gross things)

We had alot of bites and misses a bunch of fish too. Maybe to many wobbly pops slowed down our reaction

time on the hook sets.

Good luck and hope the bite is still good while you are there.

The new owners were great and did a good job. The fishing was alot better than it has been there in the past. Our hut was in 28 feet of water and the action was pretty steady through out the day. Our hut iced 12 walleye,30+perch(11inchers),2 cisco and 6 puppies(gross things)

We had alot of bites and misses a bunch of fish too.

Sure sounds a lot better than my past experiences. With the new owners I may reconsider going back. Will be watching for more reports.

Best Wishes: Rick

Sure sounds a lot better than my past experiences. With the new owners I may reconsider going back. Will be watching for more reports.

Best Wishes: Rick

Same here I wasnt impressed with the service or the fishing in the past havnt been back in about 15 yrs

Edited by FISHINGNUT

Hey mufasa001,

I'll be only about a 1/2 mile away from you.

Due west. Feb. 1 if that's the same weekend.

We've rented our hut from Rob Hyatt, it's our 3rd year there.

Don't overlook the great Whitefish opportunities.

We caught several last year as well as some great Walleyes and a few Pike.

Just another idea but if you rig an ultralight set up of say 4 lb line or less with a real tiny jig head

and just use the head of a minnow, fishing for Herring can add excitement to the slow times.

You will mark them on your fishfinder usually suspended way off bottom. If you get the jig to them quick enough they'll hit. Great little scrappers on light line. And damn tasty when smoked.

If you wanna take a walk stop on over. Ours will be the hut you can hear the music from a mile away.

The count so far is 2 guitars, 1 set of bongo's, a harmonica, a mandolin and various other implements.

Surprisingly it didn't bother the fish but for some reason we didn't get a lot of human visitors.

Go figure :whistling:

See ya there,

Hookset

Edited by Hookset

• 3 months later...

So I registered specifically for this site because I came across this blog and read something about people being happy about the new owners.

I completely agree! I went nearly 10 years ago now and didn't go back until I found out new owners had taken over. I had huge success with ice fishing this year, and I'm in next year for sure and hopefully early June in one of the newly renovated cottages. The new owners are awesome!! :thumbsup_anim: I honeslty swore off this resort earlier, which is sad because the location is prime.

Someone will have to post how things go come May, everyone I've talked to that's been since the new owners took over said nothing but good things so I look forward to hearing about it!

Let me know