Brief Simcoe Ice update and report

wuchikubo

Hi all,

Well, I went for a drive sunday morning to see if I could locate my fishing hut since I didn't have the opportunity to check prior to it after the thaw and wind gusts.

Anyways, made my way to VB, used the binoculars, nope, not there anymore. Looked around on the pier, huge pressure cracks some 1 ft wide with about 3/4 inch to 1 inch of ice due the the slightly colder weather. Out in the distance I could see the ferry crossing the lake (not a good sign at all). Looking carefully through the binoc I see two guys out beside a sled trying to right a partially sunken hut. If anyone was considering going up there, I would suggest not to waste your fuel.

Since the purpose of the trip was to try and locate the hut, I drove around a bit more with two friends in the vehicle. Went to Duclos point, nope, not there. Gave up trying to locate it after that.

Drove over to the Pefferlaw river, it was wide open water.

Decided to head over to Jackson's Point just to look at the conditions. On the lake side road my friends were pointing out the open choppy water with very little ice along the shoreline. At JP, the harbor was iced over with about 1/4 inch of ice (broke through with throwing med-small sized stones). Against the breakwall there was broken ice pieces pushed to shore by the waves (I wish I had a camera at this point as it was like a piece of art).

On the way back, I stopped by a friend's private lake and did some fishing for rainbows. Since it wasn't in the initial plans, we didn't have appropriate rods (ice fishing rods) but still caught 6 fish between the 3 of us in an hour and 15 mins. Nothing large, about 14"-16", one friend had one hook up with something he claims was larger but I didn't see it so I can't comment on it :whistling: .

Everyone, please be safe if you plan to do some fishing in the next little while, better yet just wait until it refreezes properly.

Stan

Edited by HearingFish

Hey Brian,

I used to have a digital camera until I gave it away thinking I was getting another one and my wife won't let me take hers anywhere near the water. I guess I'll have to invest in another one soon. That Olympus one that has a -10C freeze rating and crush resistance is coming to mind.

So you didn't find your hut? Wow...that's gotta suck! At least you got to wet the line and catch a few fish.

Yeah, just got off the phone with MNR to report it as well. I'm hoping someone will report it found and the MNR office is suppose to notify me if it does.

Cliff, if you can imagine me fighting a rainbow with a 24" ice fishing rod. It was goofy looking to say the least. :blink: And make that three guys doing it from shore to open water, it looked like something made for tv. There was a guy fly fishing the same area, just makes me wonder what was going through his head. :whistling:

Edited by HearingFish