Lake Temagami Ice report

irishfield

If anyone is heading that way over the Holidays...be forewarned.

Current situation is 7 inches of ice in Portage Bay (townsite - beside Hwy #11) and it gets progressively thinner as you go West beyond Ferguson Point (soon to be renamed :whistling: ). Just off the phone with my realestate fella and he and his buddy took a boot down the North East arm yesterday on sleds.... admittedly DUMB but they did it. You can't stop for a breakdown or a piss... as the ice is only TWO inches thick !!

Ice North of Bear Island to Garden Island is walkable or quick sled as well at about 2 3/4" to 3 3/4". Not overly safe anywhere but in the smaller protected areas. Hopefully it rains up there this weekend as well to knock the bit of snow down, so real ice can start to form.

Wayne

Edited by irishfield

It's gonna be 7 up there on Sunday it looks like as well... and that's a good thing..hope it rains too so we get a good ice road this year.

I call the island cottage Hump Rock (I told my Mother "because it rises up quickly out of the water" :rolleyes: )... not sure what we'll name the point.

Net Lake Just north of Temag. has 7" was there last weekend for Pike.. your right Temag has very thin ice...Ti-Guy said that there's no more than 6" at the Government Dock..too much snow.

Some guys have gone in from Red Squirrel Road into Sandy Inlet and crossed safely on 7'' dead center and 10'' near shore

The same is happening on Nip. right now... already not looking good for crossing with the trucks... too much snow...

Most little lakes up here have 8'' 10'' ..

For anyone heading up to the Moose River for the holidays we currently have tonnes of ice and snow. I'm driving my truck on it and most people quit givin'-a-shart how thick it was once it surpassed about 12 inches. Presently the snow is cold, white, fluffy and accummulating on the ground at a somewhat mediumish steady pace. The winter season came this year in the winter just after the fall had ended. Temperatures are anywhere from brisk and cold to very brisk and cold, and some days the wind blows and some days the wind does not blow much at all really. Warm weather is expected down the road a ways. Today the sky was blue changing later to grey then back to blue then to grey again. Tomorrow I predict the sky will be greyish blue if not bluish grey or just blue itself, or maybe grey. Skidoo'ers are taking risks on the ice much like skidoo'ers take risks on the ice where there is ice in other parts of Canada. It is predicted at least one person will go outside and another inside, somewhere, at some time. My tee-pee agent and spiritual advisor has informed me that the earth will move, that the winter solstice will pass and a summer solstice will come, and that Groundhogs Day is February 2nd this year. I took it to mean that, shifting shadows in the darkness need not be feared, light will be soon be upon me.

Remember this too, if you're out fishing and you drill a hole in the ice, you can't take it back.