Xmas Casserole HELP!

pameladallaire

Well, I need help! :unsure:

I'm finally on vacation and have time to do xmas baking, etc. I found out I have to cook all the vegetables for our xmas dinner the day before. That means casseroles, which I don't usually make. They have to be able to prepare and refrigerate to bake or reheat just before the meal.

Any and all recipes are welcome, even if they have some meat. My sister is cooking the turkey and gravy but I have turkey stock in the freezer for flavouring casseroles.

Thanks in advance.

:santa: Pam

Here is one that was featured on Good Morning America, this morning.

Regards,

Snowball

Twice-Baked Potato Casserole

Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, "Emeril's Potluck," William Morrow Publishers, New York, 2004

Ingredients:

10 large russet baking potatoes (about 7 pounds total)

8 tablespoons (1 stick) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature

1 cup sour cream

½ cup heavy cream2 teaspoons sal1½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

¾ pound bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled

½ pound sharp white Cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

¾ pound mild Cheddar cheese, grated (3 cups)

½ cup finely chopped green onions

3 eggs, lightly beaten

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400ºF.

Scrub the potatoes well and rinse under cool running water. Pat dry with paper towels and prick the potatoes in several places with a fork. Place the potatoes in the oven and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until tender. Remove from the oven and set aside on a wire rack until cool enough to handle.

When the potatoes have cooled, cut each potato in half and, using a spoon or a melon baller, scoop the flesh out of the skins, leaving as little flesh as possible. Place the potato flesh in a large bowl and add 1 stick of the butter, the sour cream, heavy cream, salt, and pepper and mash until chunky-smooth. Add the bacon, cubed white Cheddar, half of the grated Cheddar, the green onions, and eggs and mix thoroughly.

Butter a 9 x 13-inch casserole with the remaining tablespoon of butter and reduce the oven temperature to 375ºF.

Place the seasoned potato mixture in the prepared casserole and top with the remaining grated Cheddar. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until bubbly around the edges and heated through and the cheese on top is melted and lightly golden. Serve hot.

Makes 12 servings

Here are two quick cold casseroles

Take a clear glass bowl to present this one it as you make it in layers.

Take enough frozen peas to fill said bowl about 2/3 and thaw them you don't have to cook them as they are already blanched. So all you do is alternate layers of the peas coated with a little miracle whip, parmesan cheese and chopped bacon. Over that you put chiffonaded iceberg lettuce. Repeat layers two or three times. Just make sure that you plan it out so you wind up with the lettuce on top as it keeps the peas from drying out. Simple fast and it is best made 24 to 36 hrs ahead.... Will keep about 4 days but it won't last that long once folks try it.

The second one is similar only you use broccoli florets, bacon or diced ham, shredded old cheddar cheese mixed together and you make a dressing using PC Salsa Ranch, a bit of parmesan, mayo to taste. Make enough dressing to coat everything well. On the top make a rose out of a tomato by paring off the whole skin in a thin strip and rolling it up..... Again best made the day before.

Should be able to make both in about 30 to 40 minutes. Real crowd pleasers and they don't take up precious oven space with the stuffing taters and turkey on Christmas day.

Edited by Canuck2fan

Here is a recipe you can make the day before and refrigerate until needed - serve cold (couldn't be easier).

Broccoli Cheese and Bacon Salad

This broccoli cheese and bacon salad can be made with any cheese you like. If you don't want to make the dressing you can use any bottled variety. 3-cheese ranch is a good option.

Ingredients:

1-2 bunches broccoli

1 cup shredded cheese-any kind

1/2 cup raisins

1/3 cup red onion

6-8 slices bacon

1/2 cup nuts or sunflower seeds

Dressing:

1 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup vinegar

2-4 tbsp. sugar

Fry bacon until crispy, crumble and set aside.

Cut up broccoli flowerettes into bite-sized pieces, leaving just a little stem. Cut up enough for about 4 cups of flowerettes.

Mix with cheese, onion, raisins and nuts. Add dressing, toss salad and refrigerate 2-3 hours.

Add crumbled bacon and toss salad again just before serving.

I've made this countless times, it's quick, easy and good.

In a large bowl mix together:

1 bag of frozen hash browns

2 cans cream of mushroom soup

500ml of sour cream

1C grated cheddar

1/4C melted butter

1C crumbled up bacon

1C chopped onion

Scoop the mixture into a suitable covered casserole dish and bake at 375 for 1 hour.

With 15 mins left to go, take off the lid and sprinkle another cup of grated cheddar on

top.

When the cheddar is bubbling on top it's good to go.

This can be made the night before and refrigerated with no problems.

Cheers

Edited by solopaddler