What tripod should I get?

evster

So I just got a new camera this week and want to get a tripod. I have NO idea what to look for in one. Just thought I would see what you guys suggest for things to look for. Not planning on spending a fortune on one, but I want something that will be stable and sturdy so I know it won't wobble or fall over.

Thanks!

Evan

I use a Manfrotto Modo 785B. It's lightweight, stable, and well built. I needed one that was lightweight because most of my pics are taken far away from any road. I bought it at Blacks on sale for $79.99....regular $99.99

What kind of camera did you get?

Edited by brandon

So I just got a new camera this week and want to get a tripod. I have NO idea what to look for in one. Just thought I would see what you guys suggest for things to look for. Not planning on spending a fortune on one, but I want something that will be stable and sturdy so I know it won't wobble or fall over.

Thanks!

Evan

Watch out for plastic cam locks for the leg extensions - especially if you're going to use it in the cold.

Look for smooth tilt/swivel adjustments.... like a smooth drag on a reel.

I have had two cheap tripods, both had the cam locks break rendering them useless. My third was purchased used from a small camara shop for a little more than the price of a cheap new one. It has thumb screw locks that hold the extruded aluminium legs firmly. Tilt and swivel functions are very fluid making fine adjustments much less frustrating.

It was older model tripod and I gave up the convenience of the quick release but gained in other areas.

As luck would have it, I googled while typing this message and came up with the same tripod as mine. Used for $35 in Kitchener...

http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-...QQAdIdZ27486493

It should be easy to find a nice used one in your area for the same price of a new cheap model.

-Brian

**EDIT**

I should add that the cam locks aren't bad in all tripods but are the weak link in the cheap ones.

Edited by SlowPoke

I'm still using an old tripod from 20 years ago, but I need to get a new one also. I was also using the cheapy one at walmart for 15 bucks. It was cheap, small but extended to 4", yet fit on the back of my camera bag, so it was a bring everywhere in case you needed one deal. And when I forgot it somewhere, It wasn't the end of the world.LOL