New fishing regs 2008 Cautionary note for Zone 11

irishfield

...just noticed I can no longer fish when I go up to the lake at ice out. Generally I would hit the back bays and steam outlets for ice out pike since season WAS open all year. It now appears in Zone 11... that covers everything from the Algonquin Parks North Border to New Liskerard... Pike are only open Jan 1 to the 3rd Sun in March and then open again on Walleye opener 3rd Saturday in May. That leaves me with a week I can't fish. Hope Leah packs some extra "lounge wear" for that week! LOL :canadian:

Edited by irishfield

The main thing that jumped out at me was the new ice fishing with live minnows restriction.

Apparently no live minnow fishing through the ice except for the Ottawa river. Glad I fish the Ottawa a lot.

No bigger minnow than 5" for pike too.... alive or dead. So much for suckers for muskie and pike. :whistling:

Ya I hear ya Wayne. Every couple of years I would spend news year on Lake Temagami and make a few trips into the backs lakes on Jan 1 (if able) for lakers. Looks like they closed up all lakes to match Lake Temagami LT season now.

Heck of a shock to the lodges that opened for Jan1 season. They lose 6 weeks business for lake trout. I realize Whitefish and walleye are still open but lakers are where the coin is.

The main thing that jumped out at me was the new ice fishing with live minnows restriction.

Apparently no live minnow fishing through the ice except for the Ottawa river. Glad I fish the Ottawa a lot.

No bigger minnow than 5" for pike too.... alive or dead. So much for suckers for muskie and pike. :whistling:

Didn't see that one ie "live". There is a new restriction on SOME lakes for live or dead bait to be less than 5.1". Didn't see anything that said you couldn't fish with live bait thru the ice. Must have missed it in the preface at the beginning...if it's fact and not relayed incorrect info.

Edited by irishfield

Ya I hear ya Wayne. Every couple of years I would spend news year on Lake Temagami and make a few trips into the backs lakes on Jan 1 (if able) for lakers. Looks like they closed up all lakes to match Lake Temagami LT season now.

Heck of a shock to the lodges that opened for Jan1 season. They lose 6 weeks business for lake trout. I realize Whitefish and walleye are still open but lakers are where the coin is.

Yep.. first thing I noticed Paul and knew it was coming. Lake T was the only lake up there with the (un-scientifically proven) one month season for lakers. It was easier for the MNR to make every lake the same than to write exceptions for every lake it appears. Don't understand it myself, nor do any in the North. There is no shortage, that I could see on my LCX-112 from May to October, of Lake Trout in Temagami !

Most of it's pretty easy reading Don... we just lost a lot of opportunities for no scientific/biological reason is all. Been talking with some up North and they're already considering closing their outfits up for the winter.... as it's not worth the effort to stay open from now 'till Feb 15th... if they're only going to get a month of Laker season.

To be honest with ya Wayne - I haven't even looked at it - just commenting on all the different translations in the posts! I am sure that it will all work out in the long run.

To bad about the shorter lake trout season up your way but I am sure you will find a way to entertain yourself for the week of no fishing - lol

Don :Gonefishing: