Would like to ask you all.

nautifish

Goodafternoon everyone and i hope all are well and have had a great summer. Hard to beleive xmas is yet again only a measly month away BAHHHH!! Humbug! :santa:

Anyway i wanted to know if any of our OFNER'S here have ever visited kearns up in northern ontario which i beleive to be around kirkland and larder lake correct? Has anyone ever fished these lakes & visited the town? If so how was it and would you visit it again? How was your experience i guess i am asking.....lol.....

Looking to take a trip up that way and was curuious if anyone else has been up in that neck of the woods.

Thankyou...

Nauti ;)

Edited by nautifish

i had allready found and read that link nemo but thankyou. Solo basically wanting to know how far is it really in the middle of no where and how close is the nearest city>? would it be quebec? i cannot seem tofind the population of this place. :unsure:

my home town is Kirkland lake. never fished Larder lake. but fished a few lakes in the area. lac Labyrinthe. watch out for this lake. its a border lake 3/4 on the Quebec side and 1/4 on the Ontario side. i remember when i made a trip back home. and did not read the fishing regulations. 54 dollars fine for using minnows. no live bait on this lake. its north east of kearns. other lake i fished was bear lake and barber lake. mostly bass and pike was caught. fishing on these three lake was not the greatest but this was over ten years ago that i was there. a lot of the lakes have slot size and also reduce the number of fish you can keep. just see the small lakes along high way 11 the trees and rock cuts clear water lakes is worth the trip. nice country. if it wasn't for work. i still be up there. enjoy the trip if you go. Happy fishing, see you on the water, walleyedreamer.

i had allready found and read that link nemo but thankyou. Solo basically wanting to know how far is it really in the middle of no where and how close is the nearest city>? would it be quebec? i cannot seem tofind the population of this place. :unsure:

Okay, well Virginiatown is pretty much equidistant to both Kirkland Lake in Ontario, and Rouyn-Noranda in Quebec. Both roughly 40km away.

Both cities are reasonably cosmopolitan with large shopping malls, grocery stores, theatres, hospitals, etc.

Unless you're planning on moving up there (are you? LOL!) I think you'd find everything you need in either one of those cities.

The Virginiatown/Kearns area is beautiful, but is a little short on visitor facilities. It's a mining town, not really set up for tourists but nice nonetheless.

If you're looking for accomodations in town there's pretty much only one place worth recommending, Cheminis Lodge right on the hwy in town. I know the owners Bonnie and Dave personally and they run an absolute 5 star operation in my opinion...

As far as fishing goes, well if you get to that point shoot me a pm and I can fill you in. I know the area intimately and can put you onto some great fishing.

Cheers, Mike

its six and one half hour drive from Toronto to Kirkland lake. and the nearest town/city in Quebec is Rouyn/Noranda which is about a 45 minute to an hour drive from Kirkland lake. other lakes that are said to be good fishing lakes. are Laker lake. raven lake and lake Abitibi. another Ontario/ Quebec border lake north east of Kirkland lake. Kirkland lake was know as a gold mining town booming in the 1930. but not much happying these days. most people travel to Rouyn/Noranda to do there major shopping. these days. or New Liskeard to do there shopping on the Ontario side. like all fishing trips you have your good days and bad. enjoy the country and good luck. happy fishing, see you on the water, walleyedreamer.