Making fixed or slip floats?

bassjnkie

As the water will be freezing soon I need something to pass the time. I want to make some floats? I am going to use balsa wood, and I need to jimmy rig a lathe<< (help on this one), paint and gloss<<(suggestions).

If I am missing something please post it.

Thanx in advance,

Daniel

OCH

I use to make my own floats years ago.I commend you for looking for a project to pass the time.

I made up a stand and attached a regular drill to it.I then bought some balsam wood and 1/8 dowel to make the stems.

Drilled a hole through a 2 inch square piece of balsum,pushed the dowel through with a bit of glue to hold.Then I put it in the drill and used a wood rasp file to create the shape then sanded smooth and applied dope seal to it, then painted.

I cant explain to well typing,but they worked out just fine.They were not slip floats,they were floats that required surgical tubing to hold them to the line.

Hope this helps abit.

Enjoy

LOL Yep something like Skelzwoods.

Nice floats there sir.

Edited by misfish

SkelzWoods Very impressive floats. If you don't mind, I just need to know what you use to turn them, eg. lathe? Then I know I will figure it out, by screwing a couple floats up. Also where do you get your balsa wood from, and the tube for the slip floats?

Thanx in advance,

Daniel

OCH