Weekend Report

rhare

Well my buddy Dan and I headed down to the Niagara region this weekend, being neither one of us has fished very much down there we didnt know what to expect.

Saturday morning we headed down to Queenston to do some drifting. It was cold, but there were still lots of boats and shore guys out.For about the first hour after light the fish turned on. every second boat had a fish on and the shore guys seemed to be doing just as good or better. Took me a bit to get the feeling for the drifting. Missed LOTS of fish but Managed to get 3 steelies and a nice laker( the laker was wrapped so we had to net it, snapped a quick pic and back she went) we hooked a few other lakers but let them go at the boat. one was around 20lbs !!!

niagara2.jpg

niagara1.jpg

first steelie

niagara3.jpg

niagara4.jpg

niagara5.jpg

Dan with the wrapped laker

niagara7.jpg

big laker

niagara6.jpg

So after getting back to the hotel we defrosted, ate and then headed to the port for a few drifts

just as it was getting dark Dan picked up a nice hen brown. The only fish we kept all weekend.

blood doesnt do much for the pic.

port1.jpg

Next morning we got up before light and headed back down to the port. Talk about shoulder to shoulder!

port2.jpg

we found a place away from the crowd and the fish unfortunatly.

Dan managed to hook a little steelie, it was a weird fish. Look at its fins, like a mirmaid ?

port3.jpg

close up

port4.jpg

we moved around a bit to get away from the crowd. found some guys snagging near the dam, real classy.

Dan managed one more fish and then back home.

port6.jpg

all and all not too bad of a time.

Ryan

Edited by troutguy

Cool report thanks!

The rainbow with the large tail fin is commonly called a "fantail".

Very common genetic mutation that's been popping up in Lake

Ontario in recent years...

And yeah, LOL!, you might want to steer clear of that dam next time...

Cheers

Fantail eh neat.

Thanks for the info on the dam area, I'll stay clear.

Nice report..note that you are facing a trespassing ticket when fishing up at that dam. It is a posted area, but usually someone tears down the signs...(posted by the city).

I didnt see any signs but thanks for the info, I'll stay away.

Nice report! Sure it's a great time to spend the days on the water (despite the cold temp) and getting fish was a bonus.

Being a newbie in that area too, I'm heading down there this weekend with a couple of friends for the first time, in my 16.5' with 90hp. Do you think a boat of that size is safe for the Niagara river, which I heard has very strong currents? How far up can I go upstream without risking too much (rocks, currents or other hazards)?

Can I also ask what lures/baits you were using? Were you drifting roes/minnows with some heavy sinkers? Bottom bouncing perhaps?

It'll be the first time for me to use the Queenston boat launch. Is it fairly easy to find? Any other considerations for a first-timer? I hope there'll be no ice around the ramp.

Thanks for the info! I appreciate that.

Jackie

Nice report! Sure it's a great time to spend the days on the water (despite the cold temp) and getting fish was a bonus.

Being a newbie in that area too, I'm heading down there this weekend with a couple of friends for the first time, in my 16.5' with 90hp. Do you think a boat of that size is safe for the Niagara river, which I heard has very strong currents? How far up can I go upstream without risking too much (rocks, currents or other hazards)?

Can I also ask what lures/baits you were using? Were you drifting roes/minnows with some heavy sinkers? Bottom bouncing perhaps?

It'll be the first time for me to use the Queenston boat launch. Is it fairly easy to find? Any other considerations for a first-timer? I hope there'll be no ice around the ramp.

Thanks for the info! I appreciate that.

Jackie

Jackie first off if you don't have a NY State lisence I'd get one. You're severly limiting yourself if you don't although you will catch fish drifting the Canadian side only.

Second, your boat is just fine although I wouldn't go beyond the powerplant up into the Glen. Go upstream as far as the plant but not beyond and you'll be just fine.

At the moment there's been a good bite on roe. Assuming the river is still relatively clear use smaller, dime sized bags of preferably trout roe in natural colours.

You will indeed be bottom bouncing and due to the snaggy nature of the bottom I'd highly recommend using either pencil lead or a slinky for weight rigged on a 3-way dropper.3/8 to 3/4oz is not too heavy. Run a relatively long tippet (3-4') as well down to your hook.

Now the most important point, in order to effectively slow down and control your drifts you MUST utilize a bow mounted electric. If you don't you'll be drifting waaay too fast and out of control, spinning around in the current.

The whole key is trying to keep your bait as vertical as possible by slowing down your boat by running the electric into the current.

You'll see what I mean if you closely watch how the guide boats operate down there.

Cheers and good luck!

Thanks for all those great tips!

Is the Canadian border pretty much in the middle of the river? If I do decide to get a NY licence, what's the easiest way of getting one (online?)? Does the license expire on Dec 31 of each year? I quickly look at their website but didn't see the info right away.

I do have a bowmount electric motor. Just wondering if I plan to fish all day out there, how would I manage the battery power so that I won't run out of it in two or three hours. Do you keep your main engine running to top up the battery all the time?

I'm also wondering how far away is the rivermouth from launch. I'm thinking of trying the sand bar if I have no luck in the river. And I'm guessing other than lakers (which is closed right now), there should be some browns or rainbows or salmon at the sand bar too, right?

Thanks again,

Jackie

Thanks for all those great tips!

Is the Canadian border pretty much in the middle of the river? If I do decide to get a NY licence, what's the easiest way of getting one (online?)? Does the license expire on Dec 31 of each year? I quickly look at their website but didn't see the info right away.

I do have a bowmount electric motor. Just wondering if I plan to fish all day out there, how would I manage the battery power so that I won't run out of it in two or three hours. Do you keep your main engine running to top up the battery all the time?

I'm also wondering how far away is the rivermouth from launch. I'm thinking of trying the sand bar if I have no luck in the river. And I'm guessing other than lakers (which is closed right now), there should be some browns or rainbows or salmon at the sand bar too, right?

Thanks again,

Jackie