G2 License in Buffalo, NY (NF)

young_one

I just watched a story on the news about a family from Ontario that went across the blue water bridge and as soon as the father gave the U.S. border agent his I.D. they swarmed his car with a team of police and pulled them out with guns drawn. They took them to some interrogation type building where they realized they had the wrong guy. All they did was tell the guy that there was a mistake and that it was caused by either the man's name or date of birth. Didn't apologize at all and as a kicker sent the guy home with a comment card to comment on how he liked the U.S. border experience... the guy was horribly traumatized and still shaking in the interview. I'd say stay in Ontario for your shopping.

don't think you will have aproblem...they don't really look at the licence type I don't think. If you have a passport then your golden and good to go. I use to go over with my G2 all the time and never got hassled....but I would make sure if you are in someone elses car to get a note with permission to drive it....been sent home before to get one!

A really random question. Can I drive in Buffalo, NY with my G2 license? Thinking of shopping this weekend with friends.

You might want to postpone that trip. Apparently there's some kind of initiative to defend Canada's retailers from losing all custom to the US retailers due to the revalued buck. There have been a few news stories about it, and my son was telling me today that they went over to Buffalo the other day on the spur of the moment and really regretted it after spending literally hours in line to pay duty on $200 worth of purchases. It's not the same deal as usual crossing the border. Wait a while. I'm sure the dust will settle soon.

JF

Phil...

It's part of the graduated licensing for new drivers.....

G1 - Must have this for a year and follow all these rules before they can take the test for G2.

· maintain a zero blood alcohol level while driving;

· be accompanied by a fully licensed driver, who has at least four years driving experience, and a blood alcohol level of less than .05 per cent, in case he/she needs to take over the wheel;

· ensure the accompanying driver is the only other person in the front seat;

· ensure the number of passengers in the vehicle is limited to the number of working seat belts;

· refrain from driving on Ontario's "400-series" highways or on high speed expressways such as the Queen Elizabeth Way, Don Valley Parkway, Gardiner Expressway, E.C. Row Expressway and the Conestoga Parkway;

· refrain from driving between midnight and 5:00 a.m.

G2 - New drivers must hold a G2 licence for a minimum of 12 months before they can attempt the G2 road test. At this level, you have more privileges because of your driving experience. You may drive without an accompanying driver on all Ontario roads anytime. However, you are still required to:

· maintain a zero blood alcohol level while driving;

· ensure the number of passengers in the vehicle is limited to the number of working seat belts.