Minn Kota Foot Pedals

musky_man

HI,

I don't have a lot of time to post these days, but I hope those that know me are all doing well.

In any event, I have a question. I have gone through 2 Minn Kota foot control pedals that loose their capacity to steer. Seems to be the pedal itself is at fault. I was talking to Adam this summer (Reef Hawg) and he suggested that it might be the solonoid switch. I have not tried that yet, but was wondering if there are others who are having issues with these things. I'd bet I have no more than 30 hours on them before they poop out.

Anyone have any other thoughts and has anyone tried to replace these switches on their own. I understand that Aikmens might carry them and they are not that expensive.

Comments?

I have no idea Mark but I imagine that if it's a known problem with the pedals, Minn-Kota should be replacing the faulty parts free of charge at their authorized service shops. Especially after only 30 hours of service. MotorGuide is taking a bite out of their market share these days so, if I was Minn-Kota......

Good luck with it, Bud.

Do a search here on Minn Kota, you'll find quite a few posts on the topic.

I'm on my second. 2 friends of mine have blown theirs up too.

In future I'm buying Motorguide. Cost 120 bucks to replace at

Rockies in Orillia. But if you are on your second I'm sure you know that. I need more coffee.

Hookset.

Edited by Hookset

Guest skeeter99

what kind of foot pedal?

the cable type or the electronic type ,I have had both (minn-kota) and 1 cable steer motorguide

the electronic type(small pedal)minn kota are crap they work good for a couple of years, but they get dirt and crap in them and dont work took mine apart a couple of time to clean the contacts on the little circuit board (microfilm) and would work **until it got dirty again(corrosion etc)

the cable type are bullet proof, the only problems you usually get are since the trolling motor is on the bow of the boat, the pounding of the waves usually *and has happened to me** loosens the connections to the potentiometer and swithes on the pedal (they are not soldered, just butt connectors) do yourself a favour

1. solder the connections

or

2. remove connections crimp them down a bit (a little dielectric grease would not hurt here)and re-install with a snugger fit

I would stick with the minkota if you are a bass fisherman they are much better at going through the slop (experience)

and the design of the motorguide and minkota cable steer are *identical* except minkota's foot control is big and clunky were as motorguides is much more compact

Edited by skeeter99

Guest skeeter99

another thing if it is the electronic foot pedal

because you say it has lost the ability to steer, it could be your battery is toast it is failing under load

I remember a friend of mine was doing that and he changed the battery and bingo all is good, that same friends motor would die sometimes and try it a couple minutes later and would work, he clean and or replaced the wiring back to the battery and it worked like it was new

those electronic foot pedals of minn-kota are very sensitive to power

IMO they are not made to last *circuit boards etc on a foot pedal out in the rain snow etc.* that is like leaving your pc on the back deck and expecting it to work after a thunderstorm LOL!!!!

With most DC electronic built today,If there is a power fluctuation(a change in amperage)

the unit will shut you down.

They still use resisters and capacitors,but also use a micro chip to control amps.

As soon as the amp card start to read a high or low amperage the micro chip reads there is

something wrong and signals to the amp card to shut down or burn out to protect parts that can over heat

causing real damage or fires.

Mark, there's been an on-going problem with those PD pedals for along time and it's something that is posted quite frequentely on this board. If you recall, I dumped mine after only one year because of the same thing.

Get yerself a cable steer bud, and you'll never look back.