Question regarding regulations UPDATED

fatherof3

Good job fatherof3!

I drive by the dam almost daily and smile when I see that no one is there. Just a sense of satisfaction that everyone is following the rules and knowing that it is a Sanctuary for a good reason.

It really bothered me to read that these guys were completely ignoring the signs that are posted there.

These guys definitely need a lesson on the regulations as Page 1 in the General Fishing Regulations states:

"Do Aboriginal people need an Outdoors Card?

Members of Ontario Aboriginal communities, having established aboriginal and treaty rights, do not require an Outdoors Card or Ontario fishing licence tag to take fish for personal use within their traditional or treaty territory. Personal use is defined as for food, social or ceremonial purposes.

Individuals should be prepared to provide identification when showing their community membership. Members of Aboriginal communities fishing outside of their traditional or treaty areas must have a valid Ontario Outdoors Card and fishing licence tag."

First, this is not "traditional or treaty territory".

Second, there are posted signs showing that the area is a Sanctuary between Oct. 1 and Nov. 30. (I was carded when I was fishing there (Legally) the day the MNR Officer wrote the dates onto the sign.)

Third, Status Card or not there is no reason for anyone to act like such a jerk, especially not in front of children.

Good for you! I hope this is followed up swiftly and severely.

Thank you!

Just got off the phone with the MNR and it was in fact illegal.A CO is on the way.For future reference no one is allowed to fish within a santuary.They said that with the pics I took of their plate and them fishing that they can proceed.

wtg glad to see that guy getting what he deserves