Cancun beach fishing

JohnF

I see the occasional stalwart tending his gear out on the beach in Cancun each year although I've never seen anything caught. Anyone here one of those folks? If so I'll say hello in January as I wander in the sand.

I'm curious to know what they're expecting to catch. I know what's out on the reefs off the point and down by Punta Nizuc from diving there but the only fishy looking thing I've seen close to the beach in between was a whale shark that cruised by a few years ago.

JF

john,

not sure about january, but i caught several off the beach one night this past june. nothing real big, about 6 lbs was the biggest, but still had alot of fun. i used calamari that i got from walmart up near market 28.

1001086.jpg this was a rouge fish i caught

1001093.jpg not sure about this one

1001092_113-1.jpg biggest rouge

1001091_112-1.jpg check out the teeth

i would recomend going out on a deep sea charter, we went on a shared charter and had a blast,it cost about 90 dollars for a 6hour trip. there was me and my wife and 2 other guys. boated several mahi mahi, bonita and a rough jack. the pic in my avatar is one of the mahi mahi.

best of luck, cant wait to get back there next year.

jason

not sure about january, but i caught several off the beach one night this past june. nothing real big, about 6 lbs was the biggest, but still had alot of fun. i used calamari that i got from walmart up near market 28.

jason

Don't remember seeing any of those fish on the reefs. Lots of grouper though. They're everywhere, and a lot of Stingrays, Angels, Morays, Barracuda, etc. Probably different fish hang around on the flats. We sit on the balcony with our coffee and watch the charters go out in the morning. I imagine there's a fair amount of seasickness on those charters. It's a fun ride for little boats. Some days I can't wait to get off the dive boat and under water. It's nice and smooth down below but I've floated in troughs 10 to 12' top to bottom waiting for the boat to pick us up, and that was only a half mile or so offshore.

JF

Ahh, the venerable Whale Shark... the largest fish in the world!

You shoulda seen the reaction from the folks on the beach that day. They generally aren't cruising in that area in January and I'm pretty sure they don't normally come that close to the beach. It wasn't a big one, probably not much more than 25'. A few of my friends have been lucky enough to be in the water when they encountered one.

JF

I've seen some locals catching what I believe were Bonefish on the lagoon side of Cancun, but never anything on the Ocean side. They were targeting the mangrove overhangs with small plugs.

Craig

I've seen them in there spear fishing from canoes/kayaks. I asked a local about it and he said you wouldn't catch him swimming in the mangroves because of the crocs. I think they catch some kind of snapper in the mangroves. That lagoon is pretty shallow judging by the silt plume we set up from the dive boats. It might be the kind of flats area favoured by bonefish etc. I understand there are some inshore saltwater species targeted down at the Punta Nizuc end where the channel goes out to the sea but I can't see what goes on down there from our resort.

JF