Another Tragedy

Mike the Pike

Well another drowning tragedy right here in our own back yard at the Boucherville Islands near Montreal on the St.Lawrence.

A 63 year old man drowned when the watercraft they were in capsized with 3 on board.Once again no PFD was used by the victim.The 2 other men managed to swim to shore suffering from hypothermia.

When are people going to get it.Where your PFD.No more excuses there are new compact self inflatable models.

63-year-old man drowns in St. Lawrence

Montreal Gazette

Published: Sunday, October 07

A 63-year-old man is dead and two others are suffering from hypothermia after their small boat capsized while attempting to cross the St. Lawrence River early this morning. They were not wearing life jackets.

The three men, who are thought to be from the same family, were on their way to the Iles de Boucherville, east of Montreal, for a hunting expedition . Around 5:30 this morning, a Boucherville resident called Longueuil police to say he heardcries for help coming from the St. Lawrence.

When police arrived on the scene, they found two of the men clinging to the riverbank of Ile de la Commune, one of the islands that makes up the Iles de Boucherville. The body of the third man was found around 7:00 a.m. in the St. Lawrence. He was clinging onto the all terrain vehicle they had brought with them onto the boat. He was pronounced dead at hospital. The Sûreté de Québec has taken over the investigation.

Edited by Mike the Pike

Well another drowning tragedy right here in our back yard at the Boucherville Islands near Montreal on the St.Lawrence.

A 63 year old man drowned when the watercraft they were in capsized with 3 on board.Once again no PFD was used by the victim.The 2 other men managed to swim to shore suffering from hypothermia.

When are people going to get it.Where your PFD.No more excuses there are new compact self inflatable models.

:( MTP

Just saw the full story on the news.3 men in a 15 foot Jon boat and an ATV was loaded on board.One survivor told reporters that there bulky hunting clothes did not permit them to wear there PFD.Strange that one hunter was able to put his on in the water.I know for sure hunting floater jackets are sold.I know this area these guys had a short trek across the river and all they would have to do is take the PFD's off to go hunting once on shore.Common sense was not used in this situation .Correct me if I am wrong but that boat seemed overloaded to me.

Unfortunately the victim's family will suffer for a lack of judgement.

To all others please be safe out there hunting or fishing this time of year.With cold water temps it does not take long for some individuals to pannick once they have fallen in.Lets be safe out there .

PLEASE WEAR A PFD.

MTP

Edited by Mike the Pike

15ft Jon boat with 3 men not wearing PFD's and an ATV loaded????? Overloaded isn't the word I would use.

That was a tragedy just waiting to happen no matter what the distance to the other side of the river.

Tom

Three letters and I can't even get that right ...... "PFD's"

Edited by TomD

I call that thinning out the gene pool.

Its unfortunate, but if you don't play safe, your not gonna beat mother nature....she's a nasty, nasty creature.

I couldn't imagine what my family would be saying if I drowned because I didnt wear my PFD.......I always have it on when I'm solo, or in dirty weather........ if I'm hunting, im wearing my camo float suit. Best investment I've made yet on outdoor gear by far!!

Be safe out there folks, things happen real fast!!

Sinker