Short Toronto Islands Report

Hey everyone.

Well I decided to take a day off work and go fishing at the T.O Islands for the Big 4 - Bass, Pike, Carp and Salmon. I headed straight to the spots that have been producing big bass so far this fall. Because I was fishing after a cold front with cool conditions I wasn't very confident so started with live bait. I float fished worm in all the usual weeds/docks but caught nothing. :wallbash: So I changed tactics and started casting xraps for pike - no hits or follows - well other than baby bass that seemed to like to chase lures that are almost bigger than them! :wallbash: I then turned my attention to salmon - as I had seen a number of fish jump that I presumed were salmon. Cast my little cleos for an hour or so but nothing! :wallbash: So I continued walking along the shoreline and spotted a few carp, so tried to catch one. On about three occasions I could see a carp around the bait but each time they got spooked. :wallbash:

It was obviously not going to be my day, but I didn't give up as I wanted to avoid the dreaded skunk. So I continued fishing with small bits of worm as bait under a float. In the end I managed to catch a few sunfish, small bass and perch. Not quite the day off I had hoped for but I guess it was better than being in the office.

The highlight of the day was watching an incredible fiery sky unfold over the City Skyline as I waited for the ferry back. Maybe if I get time tomorrow I'll post some of those pics.

Hopefully I'll have better luck next time.

Edited by OO7

Just downloaded my photos from today and will try to add some incredible shots of the evening sky tomorrow. However there was one I just had to post now. It sums up my day!

gallery_354_52_65402.jpg

When I set up the camera for self-timer shots (in case I caught a decent fish) I took a test shot holding an imaginery fish but didn't delete it. Sure summed up the day!!! No big fish in my hands or this report! :lol:

Cheers

Edited by OO7

Sharper. At this time of year the Islands on a weekday are pretty deserted, which is one of the reasons I wanted to take some time off work and fish there. I'm not one for fishing with crowds and at weekends that can happen. Although now we are almost in October it shouldn't be that busy at weekends either and the boats will start to decrease too. I should have picked a better day to go.

dsn - the carp are still there but more spread out and very spooky (I need to improve my stalking tactics). All day I saw about 5 carp close-in ranging from about 8lbs to 25lbs!

CCMTCanada - You're right about the next cast. I was pretty fed up by early-afternoon but I just couldn't leave early as you never know when your luck will change! Hopefully I can get a couple of good days in in October.

Sharper. At this time of year the Islands on a weekday are pretty deserted, which is one of the reasons I wanted to take some time off work and fish there. I'm not one for fishing with crowds and at weekends that can happen. Although now we are almost in October it shouldn't be that busy at weekends either and the boats will start to decrease too. I should have picked a better day to go.

dsn - the carp are still there but more spread out and very spooky (I need to improve my stalking tactics). All day I saw about 5 carp close-in ranging from about 8lbs to 25lbs!

CCMTCanada - You're right about the next cast. I was pretty fed up by early-afternoon but I just couldn't leave early as you never know when your luck will change! Hopefully I can get a couple of good days in in October.

007 I found out myself that the islands can be frustrating but also very rewarding :) I think night time would be better to catch the carp because they would be less spooked...But don't miss the last ferry!