Sweep Set a Musky?

markways

Just wondering should I ever sweep set a muskie? Do not understand why everytime I set the hook vertical like a Samuri, I always end up getting nothing and the lure will always leave it to the Muskie's or Pike's mouth.

I always set the hook hard and vertical because lots of experts have been saying the jaws of a muskie or pike is really hard and thick, and that requires a lot of power in order to get the hooks penetrate through the jaw.

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

I would say that it is more the force of the rod bending that sets the hook rather than speed or motion. If you hold a lure that is attached to a medium action rod (or any rod for that matter) and pull until the rod flexes you will see how much force is behind that flex. I'll bet if tests could be done it would show that there is not alot of force required to drive a sharp hook into a pike, muskie or bass. Ive heard setting the hook too hard when using no stretch braids and crankbaits can actually rip holes in the spot where the hook set causing the lure to be shaken out more easily.

I always think that alot of the hooksets you see on TV are more for show than anything else. Ive seen Karl Kalonka set a hook so hard into a bass that his reel popped out of the seat. His show is also called "extreme angler" and how extreme would it be if he had a sissy weak hookset... :D

make sure your hooks are sharp and wait till the rod loads up with weight then set the hook strait up

Going sideways often times put the rod even with your shoulders and you loose all control on the fish

Best to fight it on a 45 degree angle and face the fish, make sure you drag is ajusted tight enough for drag to drive the hooks in but loose enough for drag to come out

good luck

I think Marc has pretty much nailed it. WAIT for the rod to "load-up" before setting the hook (or don't set at all). In some muskie fisheries almost any "hook-set" will mean a missed fish! I believe it is due to the manner/way in which they attack the lure from directly underneath. If you wait for them to go back down, they will almost always set the hook themselves. Set too soon and you will just get your lure back!

Tough to "not" set the hook, especially when you are paying attention and see the strike, but give it a try and I'll wager your hooking up average will increase dramatically!

Good luck.

Muskie regards,

Larry Ramsell

www.larryramsell.com

Edited by Larry Ramsell