Interesting Fish Pics From Yesterday

Rich

I'll let Sugarpacket give the full report, but we were at a local dam yesterday and I noticed fish trying to jump the dam. At first I thought they were trout.. but apparently not. They were suckers. I've seen suckers do this in the spring but never in the fall, any idea why they would be trying to jump the dam at this time of year? I gotta give those little guys credit.. some of them made it halfway up. Seems they have some hidden power in those little bodies. lol

DSC00542.jpg

DSC00544.jpg

And this last one is my fav shot.. you can almost see his face.

DSC00546.jpg

Has anyone else seen this type of behaviour from suckers in the fall? First time i've seen it.

Hey Rich cool pics, those suckers might be trying to escape a preditor fish...or they just like to wash their faces off in the current...or they can't figure out when to spawn...or yes probably they can smell food upstream and are trying to get there. B)

I remember my tropicals would sometimes get into the stream of water falling from the spillway on the filter. They'd tip their little faces upward and swim for all they worth, going nowhere, but they just kept at it. I wondered if it was because the O2 was down in the tank or if they just got a rush from the O2 that was being added to the water by the splash aeration. Mebbe the suckers are just experiencing an O2 high.

JF

All interesting theories. We can rule out the food theory though. No salmon in this creek as it does not connect to Lake Erie (well it does but it takes 4 dams and a waterfall to get there). However they are dredging up river so maybe food is being stirred up off the bottom and carried to them over the spillway. Either way it was cool seeing them.