Dead Minnows

jimca11

Is it ok to use dead minnows for bait from different area's. A near by baitshop is sealing vac pacs of dead minnows (near lake erie), can I take them North to the Kwartha's????? I have been told they work as good as live minnows for panfish. Any thoughts.

Unless the 08 regs change things it has always been "legal" to use minnows from different bodies of water in an area.... There was a temporary bait movement ban early this year but it only affected commercial sales, my understanding as I read it the individual angler could still catch bait on one lake and take them to another. Although it would have been immoral in my opinion. What is frowned upon is dumping the left over minnows into the different body of water. What I don't understand is you shouldn't dump the water in the new lake either but you sure see a lot of folks using a trolling bucket or keeping their minnow fresh by leaving them in the water at the new lake.... Which seems to be just as dangerous to me.

As for salted minnows working.... I have seen days where they outfished live minnows 2 to 1 for perch.