Fishing Regs

FishFinder

Apparetnly the "check" for the MNR for barbless is to stick the hook thru a piece of paper. If it doesn't increase the size of the hole on the way back out, its ok. If it catches the paper (with the barb), you get fined.

I had a pair of de-barbing pliers (smooth inside the jaws) to crimp the barbs down - worked great

Hey fishfinder..

This past summer I had the oppurtunity to fish many of Albertas Lakes and a few tribs,

and all fishing is 'Barbless'.

While there, I also had the plesasure of being able to fish with some local residents

and even a tackle shop owner.

All we/they would do was take a regular pair of pliers or needlenose and gently squeeze down on the 'Barb' until you heard a 'Click' and double check by rubbing your finger over the Barb toward the point.

It passed as being 'Barbless' according to local C.O's....

But as mentioned by another above, The Paper Test.....if thats what the reg's state I would go by that alone cuz you never know, you may run into a C.O who would do just that.

The only barbless hooks available that I could find out there were the very small #12-14 trout hooks and all others were sold w/barbs and had to be crimped manually.

Like Peter, I've also fished in Alberta where it's all "barbless". Crimping down the barb with a pair of pliers will do the trick, if you can run your finger along the area without catching any skin.

I don't know about the paper test, but one of the guys I met while there is a CO and he told me that what I did was fine.

Mike