fly fishing toronto??

kayak fisher

Hey everyone, I hope that you are all enjoying your Sunday! I went to Grenadier Pond in High Park yesterday, but unfortunately it was WAY to windy to do any fly fishing. Does anyone here have any good ideas as to where I could fly fish around Toronto today? I don't care what species I catch, as long as I catch something. my best thought so far is to head to Centre Island. My girlfriend loves to fly fish, but she doesn't fish enough to really care what she catches. Any help with this is greatly appreciated, an maybe I will see you on the river/lake today.

Thanks.

If you have waders, the Humber river is a great place to fly fish for salmon, browns, steelhead, carp, bass and suckers. If you don't have waders, you're quite limited to fishing only a few pools and runs and you need to have the ability to roll cast or spey cast. It is a wide open river.

Rouge river is another option. Same species as the Humber. Definitely need to know how to roll cast or spey cast in most places.

I've caught pike at the Islands on the fly in the spring. Not sure what it's like now though but there's miles of shoreline to fish. I would imagine pedestrian traffic would be far less during the summer so the chances of hooking someone on your back-cast is minimal.

Hope this helps

I have a 6, 7, and 8 weight fly rods, so my range of fishing options is pretty good. I have waders, but i don't have waders for my girlfriend, so we are limited to casting from the bank. I think that I will get out west to the humber. Maybe I will bring the spinning tackle as well (carp and sheepshead are always good alternative options.) At least that way I can check out grenadier pond again. Thanks for the ideas! If I catch anything I will post some pics when I return.