Balsam Lake

TAH

My son and I will be fishing Balsam Lake next weekend, staying at Balsam Lake Villas. What are the hot lures to use what can we expect to catch and if there is any hot spots.

PM me if you wish.

Thanks Tom

Edited by proboat

All boats today that we saw were in South Bay along the west shore particularly to try and get some relief from the wind. Conditions were really tough, including whitecaps and nearly turning my boat into a submarine on the way back to the launch. We were targetting musky, and did manage to tangle with a nice fish for approx 20 seconds before it "quick -released". Due to the cold front, we slowed things right down and fished big jigs/reaper tails on the bottom and through the weeds. Also got a nice pickerel (2 pounder) and a smallie (1.5 lb'er) incidentally, released them both. Musky was hooked in 18 feet of water just out from the weeds in South Bay, pickerel and smallie were in 12 fow right in the weeds in south Bay. Didn't see anyone else catch anything, so it was a slow day out there. I'll post a report on Balsam in a few days when my buddy sends the photos.

I was out there today as well with a group of three. You may have seen me, white Lund, red top?

Cold front definitely made for a tougher day. I love windy conditions like today, especially from the north east. We ended up with two fish. A 40" and a 45.5". Both fish where sitting in deeper water and were already starting to put on a bit of weight...

PROBOAT: If you decide to target Muskie, stick with natural colored body baits, perch and black are always good producing colors for me on Balsam. Be patient with the lake. Balsam has some very large fish in it, but it can make you work hard for them. Be adequetly equiped to handle and properly release BIG Muskie. I believe Balsam Villas has a Muskie net that they loan out to their guests, not sure about the rest of the release tools you should have. And like has already been pointed out, it can blow up really quick and hard there, keep an eye on the weather if you are in a smaller boat. Heavy blowing north and west winds are common at this time of the year, dress warm. All kinds of great water right near where you will be staying, you don't have to venture far.

Have fun & be safe.

Edited by Davis Battah