new steelhead rod

FinS

You dont have to be like the Jones's... you just need to outfish them.. and trust me... a 15' rod does not equal a higher catch ratio/percentage... just a lighter wallet..

OK, but take into consideration water clarity, depth, flow and size..A 15 foot rod has its advantages over smaller ones. One for example would be lighter leader line for those crystal clear conditons. Not only will you get more hook ups , you will land more fish because the larger rod allows more control as well as more power to flex ratio.. Try using 3.3lb tippet and landing a large fish with a rod less then 13ft..very hard i must say..

But...If you have the money and enjoy the fishing, why not buy a gift for youself and go expensive..I love my 15ft IMX and my G3 waders..Well worth the money being comfortable and catching lots of fish..

i have the 13' quantum pt and really like it. i started float fishing with a spinning reel and 11' rod and was successful.

it is nice to have well performing gear, but simply spending more money doesn't necessarily mean you will be a better fisherman. as you gain more experience, you will know more about when you will appreciate forking out a little extra cash for some gear you will love.

a guy i fish with has been using a 10'6" foot shakespeare and $25 quantum reel. he's been steelheading for 30 years and always catches fish because he knows fish behaviour and knows his environment.

as for the reel, i wanted to try using a centre pin this year and i just bought a raven vectra sst (second hand from dmasse, on this board). it's a great reel, but it is light and i will need to add weight to the handle to balance the rod.

i bought the raven b/c it was a good deal, and it was recommended to me by another 30 yr. steelheading veteran that the okuma centre pin (about $165) is a very good reel, especially for beginners. i was going to get it until i saw the raven for sale.

take care

If you can exchange the rod you can maybe save a few bucks for a better reel by going with a new brand of rod I just looked yesterday. It was called streamside I think? It was all black 1M 8 graphite, cork handle with hardened steel guides Awesome 13ft rods and only $109.00. Over the counter exchange if you have a problem you just have to pay a 10.95 charge but you walk out with a brand new rod.....

They have them at The Fishing Store in Stratford and Angler Outfitters in Woodstock. So they should be available other places.

Now if you had a 15ft pole you could run lighter than 3lb. tippets if you liked because of the soft action of these long poles.

Anyhow,just my two cents worth...Good Luck !!

i have a question about this since im just starting steelheading. i have a 11'6 raven in ultra light action. i bought 6 lbs main line and 3 lbs maxima tippet, will this not work for me am i under guned :dunno::dunno:

i have a question about this since im just starting steelheading. i have a 11'6 raven in ultra light action. i bought 6 lbs main line and 3 lbs maxima tippet, will this not work for me am i under guned :dunno::dunno:

I have used a 11'6" Shimano Canadian Northern Series noodle for good sized steel in the past.

On my float rods I usually use 12lb main line and nothing lower than 6lb fluorocarbon leader. This allows me to bring the fish in more quickly without totally exhausting them. In the past I used to go very light with leader when running mono, but with the fluorocarbon it allows you to use a heavier leader without spooking the fish.

Burt :)