Salt Water Fishing And Smoking Fish

SIMCOEBOB

Hey everyone, nice new look here. we fished boston this past may outside boston...took our own boat. we caught a huge number of mackeral--It's ok fryed up--but I thought I might try smoking them.....not a good idea--they fall apart--does this happen with all salt water fish---because my fresh water fish are out of this world..any thoughts guys and girls//////we are heading ther in june next year for boston blue...it's a great cheap trip and the fishing ---great thanks simcoebob :Gonefishing:

Hey Simcoe Bob,you are right,your smoked white fish is awesome. Tried it at the oro station G2G acouple years back. :worthy:

I have only salted cod and dried it out on the screen mesh down home.Never smoked any.

Are you hanging them to be smoked,or are you keeping them whole and on a rack?

The smoking of fish is more due to the fat content than what water it was caught in. Mackerel is a very muscular fish and it does not smoke well at all. Blue fish is very oily like salmon and smokes great. You might want to wipe the fish with some olive oil before smoking and try wet smoking if you are doing a muscular fish.

Art