Canoe Recommendations

Rooky

First of all, i would like to apologize to the mods as i posted a motor for sale and then read the rules on the first post not being in the classifieds. :oops:

I have been lurking for quite some time and hope i can contribute at some point in time. I am looking for a canoe and being a total newb to them, would like some thoughts and recommendations on one. I have been eyeing the Holy Cow Prospector in 15' Kevlar. Most of the time it would be my wife and I and hopefully by next year my 2 1/2 year old will be able to sit long enough for the odd afternoon out. I mostly want it to take camping with us and hopefully get out fishing more than I have been. Does anyone have any experience with this line of Canoes?

Edited by Rooky

Sorry, no experience with that brand, but....

It would be great if you could try a number of different models on the water. I have two canoes, one 16' is made of "royalex", the other is a 17' fiberglass Nova Craft. The Royalex canoe is bulletproof and is very nimble and stable in moving water. It has a pronounced rocker. It is not very nice to fish out of as it does not track very straight in flat water.

The fiberglass canoe is wide and flat. The extra length is great. It might not be as nimble, but it is a great fishing canoe in open water. When my kids were young, we would set up a little fold up chair in the middle for a child. My son would stand up and cast without worry. Just this past week my son, who is now over 6' tall, was still standing up in it, although quite cautiously. Canoes are definitely not all the same, and as long as you have an idea what you will be using it for, an knowledgeable sales person should steer you in the right direction. Good luck, Andy

One thing thing we always like in a fishing canoe is back support.

Designs that take Coleman seat-backs, or have built-in systems, are a big plus.

Most aluminum canoes can fit the Colemans. Some plastic/fiberglass models won't.

But, since you're looking at three passengers, why not consider a Scanoe?

If you can find an older model, 30 lbs. lighter than the current design, you'd be set.

The older Scanoe was about 90 lbs. ... heavy for a canoe, but easily car-topped.

Whatever thick plastic material they're made of, it's very, very, tough.

Sure, it's a scow on a lake ... especially with one aboard ... but with three skegs, it tracks straight. Properly balanced, it's very stable in almost any weather. ( We've been on the Mississippi in a thunderstorm with ours, and pushed straight through the whitecaps. ) Even with the optional third seat in the middle, there's enough room left for tackle and camping supplies.

The Scanoe has a square stern. You can use an electric trolling motor, for a quiet boost, or use a gas outboard up to 5 horsepower, which moves it along quite smartly.

On rivers, the Scanoe's slowness can become an asset. When you're headed downstream and casting towards a spot slightly ahead, and you miss ... the slowness of the craft allows you the time to reel-in and take another shot. With most aluminum or plastic canoes, one cast is all you get ... whoops, and you're past it.

One measure of these boats is the small number of them that are posted for sale.

They last forever. Ours is over 25 yrs old, and still going strong.

I have the 16 6 prospector holy cow canoe. I bought it off ebay new with a small dime size mark that I couldn't even see on the hull. When you buy from Holy Cow you almost have to upgrade which they don't tell you. For Example, you NEED the upgraded yok, you Want the aluminum gunnels and the skid pads on the bottom of the bow and stern! Those in my opinioin are a must and I was slightly disappointed when I felt the canoe needed them. That was just a buyer beware. All brands of canoes may do that. I can say this I have portaged many canoes and Holy Cow Canoe makes one light canoe and comfortable with the upgraded yok. I would not go for the 15 foot it will be too small for you and your wife your gear and a child.

You have to think what you will use this for ......Kevlar.....portaging....No portaging you can go more durable and cheaper than.

The kevlar canoe I purchased ended up oil canning baddly which means the belly of the canoe flexed with the water. I called and they fixed it right away with in two days! Awesome customer service. The canoe has a great line and is nice and quick in the water. Now with canoe not oil canning it is one fantastic canoe.

If Iwas you I would absolutely try paddling ....Swift, Langford, Bluewater, Scott, and Holy Cow Canoe BEFORE buying....and then compare prices with the additional upgrades.

pm me and I will talk to about my canoe if you want.

You seem to be thinking about Kevlar and that is a good consideration if weight is a high priority. I have a fiberglass 15-footer and the weight is a problem for me. I always need two persons to load or unload from the top of the car. I am only 125 lbs and there is no way I can lift or portage my 60 lbs canoe.

Also with a 15-footer you will quickly out-grow it as the kid gets older. With the yoke in the middle there isn't much room for an additional seat.

this year i broke down and replaced my heavy fibreglass with a kevlar...

bought it from watson canoe on wendall ave in toronto. (east of weston, s of wilson)..

he has a very small factory where he hand makes fibreglass & kevlar boats for

sometimes half the price of more well known name brands... the

quality is excellent IMHO and if you want, they can make some customizations...

'donated' the old one to the neighbours...

even though i have a motor boat, i still love canoe fishing for the solitude

and the access to better fishing in non-motorized lakes..

..... nomad ....

l preffer the Fiberegalss over the Kevlar just on the fact of the emergency repair. l have put a few holes into canoe's up north, once on a nasty portage where l beat the canoe down the hill. l understand the light factor of Kevlar and its durible just very tough to repair. Peace Ken

Talk to Jay or Chris at the Paddle Shack in Muskoka.

They sell Holy Cow's.

They are having a Fall sale RIGHT NOW!

Tell them Grant referred you and they should give you a great deal!

(We just did a show together in Gravenhurst)

Good luck!

Thanks so far for the help everyone, the reason i'm thinking Kevlar is for weight. I doubt i will be portaging much if at all but the ability to load and unload myself is a top priority. I have been eyeballing the ones on Ebay and they seem to go for 1/2 the cost of list price!

A decent set of roof racks instead of the "foamies" and most should have little problem loading/unloading a canoe around 75lbs or so. I have an indestructible Coleman 15.5 that gave me trouble loading until I bought racks. Now solo trips are easy.

I'm no longer lusting for Kevlar, especially after I spent a week in McConnell Lake beating the snot out of the Coleman. A little clean-up when I got home and it is still good as new.

Like some have said, think about moving up to 17' and try before you buy. Deals should be plentiful around this time.

Good luck,

Barn

A decent set of roof racks instead of the "foamies" and most should have little problem loading/unloading a canoe around 75lbs or so. I have an indestructible Coleman 15.5 that gave me trouble loading until I bought racks. Now solo trips are easy.

A roof rack is recommended. I have always had trouble with the foam becoming dislodged due to wind turbulence when passing big trucks and in strong side winds. I stop every hundred km or so to check the tension.

The problem I have with buying a roof rack is that it is car model specific. What fits on a Civic does not fit on an Accord. And I need to use either car that is available to me. I do plan to buy one next year.