Help ford ranger charging problem NF

holdfast

Noticed that the battery light would just flicker when accelerating. Sure enough the battery indicator goes down. I but a multimeter on the battery when stopped and it reads 12 and a bit. While engine is going it reads over 14. Yes I cleaned the terminals. Is it the battery or alternator or something else. If its the battery too easy, but my gut says alternator.

Replies guys

Thanks

my expierence with ford products leads me to believe that the sensing wire is corroded(usually a single small wire on the alternator) as a fully charged battery is 12.6-12.8 volts, check and clean this connection. before blowing a 100 bones on a battery

a battery that has been charging ( called surface charge)should read in the 13 volt range for a few minutes after. A battery that has settled should read 12.65 +- .2. The true measure of the battery is when it under load and then you can see if all of the cells are functioning. I usually turn on the blower, high beams and read the battery and see how fast it is dropping. A healthy battery will support the above for 2 minutes and not drop below 12.30 volts. Once you shut off the load and start the car you should see 14 to 14.5 volts at the battery terminals. Remember in the newer cars 1990 or better you need to have the battery hooked up while it is running or it will cook the alternator if you try the old method of "see if it can run off the alternator test."

Art